Fly Tying
gadabout

Dubbing dispenser?

I decided I'm in need of another dubbing dispenser. The kind that is a multi-compartment box with little holes to pull the dubbing out of. I spot-checked a few catalogs and all I see are dispensers that are already loaded with dubbing. I found one in a E Hille catalog, but unless I'm mistaken they no longer seem to exist. Any suggestions?

Buy a couple of Plano boxes and cut the holes yourself. That's what those dubbing boxes are anyway. That way you can select the exact box you need. I've done it, and used a Dremel tool for making the holes.

You could get some of those small clear compartmented plastic lure boxes and drill 3/4" holes in the bottom, and then load it up with dubbing.

You can get them pretty cheap at Wally World. My $0.02

Tidewater- You replied while I was typing mine, beat me to the punch.

kentuckytroutbum, we're on the same page. I just like the Plano boxes better than the cheap craft boxes. They cost a bit more, but the plastic in a Plano box seems to hold up better for me. :)

7 day Pill dispensers work well and they are very cheap (ca. $2) and available at any drug store. You could drill a hole in the bottom for dispensing

Be sure to use a soft flexible plastic box, as the clear rigid stuff has a profound propensity to crack or break when being drilled---don't ask how I know!

I've picked up a couple from J. Stockard. They seem to work fine, and are cheap enough to suit me, and most of my wardrobe comes from Goodwill. :lol:

I have to agree with Charlie Craven on this one. Keep them in the packages they came in, put those packages in a drawer. Organize how you'd like.

"The little fly boxes with holes drilled in them that are sold as dubbing dispensers are one of the worst things in the world for long fiber, fine dubbings like Super Fine. Balling a pack of super fine up in a knot and stuffing it in a little box should be punichsable by fourty lashes in my book. Cramming the dubbing in these little spaces assures that it gets crumpled and will never lie straight again"

While he applies it to Super Fine, I apply it to everything. Put wire in those boxes, not dubbing.

I have several dozen dubbing packages. The purpose of this dispenser is to store a small amount of my dubbing to keep in my portable fly tying kit. I already have some of my most commonly used dubbings in one of these dispenser boxes and have used it for years. I haven't had any problems with it. I use natural dubbing mostly. The one J. Stockard sells looks like the best configuration for my needs.

I have to agree with Charlie Craven on this one. Keep them in the packages they came in, put those packages in a drawer. Organize how you'd like.

I couldn't agree more. I buy baseball card holders from the office supply store and they are perfect for storing the dubbing packs in a 3 ring binder.