Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
osedma

ADVICE/FEEDBACK

The spring is coming and the fly fishing stuff is getting ready. This is my first time as Fly Fisher….actually I cannot say that I’m a Fly fisherman yet. I’m buying all my stuff (rod, waders, wader boots, etc) and I’m looking for fly boxes. I found two styles at internet and I would like to know if you have some reviews or feedback of this fly boxes. I want to make sure that those are good ones.

Thank you!!!!!

post-36075-0-38063200-1328716350_thumb.jpg

post-36075-0-63866800-1328716361_thumb.jpg

All depends on what kind of fish you are fishing for. I fish mostly streamers in freshwater so those are not real practical for me. I also fish a lot of saltwater and they are big(ish) flys usually so I stick with bigger boxes. I am a big fan of Cliff fly boxes. I have the bugger barn and crab shack and love them both. If you check out my blog I have a DIY on how to make a cliff style "boat box". Mostly used for bigger flys or a large quanity of them.

Sorry I couldn't help more..

All depends on what kind of fish you are fishing for. I fish mostly streamers in freshwater so those are not real practical for me. I also fish a lot of saltwater and they are big(ish) flys usually so I stick with bigger boxes. I am a big fan of Cliff fly boxes. I have the bugger barn and crab shack and love them both. If you check out my blog I have a DIY on how to make a cliff style "boat box". Mostly used for bigger flys or a large quanity of them.

Sorry I couldn't help more..

I agree with Chefben, what are you fishing for, for bass,pike,muskey,walleye and all those predators you will need a plano box or something or a big box with foam on the inside, but for nymphs and all those small streamers and drys and wets thats perfect, thats what i use pritty much and a plano box for streamers and any poppers i rarley have.

Druce

It does depend a lot on what you are fishing for. It also depends on how many flies you need to take out with you. I know some people who take out maybe 2 dozen flies and then I know people that take out a couple hundred flies whenever they go fishing.

I suggest you make your own! That's just me though. I fly fish out of a kayak, so I use regular Plano boxes with foam put in them. But I guess for wading the size matters on the boxes. If you don't mind spending 30 bucks on a fly box then what ever kind you get I suggest water proof so it will float and help not rust your flies.

I have a larger version of the one with the blue seal and I am not impressed with it. The blue gasket just comes out too easily and when I got mine, the foam was separating from the backing and I had to glue it back down. I am sure that I would have gotten a fine replacement if I had returned it but returning something to a retail store was just too much of a PIA for me to care that much since it was only a $15 box.

I do not use any fly boxes with a middle page or section in them. If you are a wet fly kinda guy, then you are fine. I throw everything at trout and that middle divider always crushes my dry fly wings.

middle divider always crushes my dry fly wings.

Yup, figured that out the hard way....

I have about 6 or 7 store bought boxes and 1 homemade box (made from a crayon box with foam glued inside)... I wish I had saved the money and made them all. The store bought ones look nice, but you can custom make them a whole lot cheaper and if you spend the few extra minutes make them even nicer to fit your fishing style needs...

if you're just starting out, go cheap. you'll figure out in time what works best for you. I like the kind without the middle leaf. But my favorite is an Altoids can with a few rows of craft foam glued into it...if I lose it, no big deal.

If I was going to buy one, I'd go with the bright orange one with the fly threaders from Wind River. I've almost lost a few cause they fall out of my vest or pocket sometimes. That bright orange is good for keeping track.