Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
surfbunker

S/W Flies as a Teaching Tool!

OK....my brain was working overtime today (giving off a faint burning odor..LOL!). As I was preparing a lesson plan on writing a history paper for my 7th grade Social Studies students, I just wasn't into it. I kept thinking of tying flies....then it hit me!!! I can tie a fly and teach them to write better!!

So... Here it is....

I'll tie a Mushmouth:

Starting near the bend of the hook, I will tie in some super hair, this is the Introduction. stiffening it with a little softex...this is like your thesis...there to hold your flies shape and keep it from fouling just like a thesis does in a paper.

It is tied near the bend of the hook...and like a good Intro...it "Hooks" the reader

Next is Flash...your 1st Body paragraph (important, but the least important of the three

Next is the Belly material ( 2nd Body Paragraph)...your fly is starting to take shape but still needs more...just like your paper

Next goes the Top layer(back) material....This represents the 3rd and final body paragraph)...see, the fly has a shape and a purpose...just like your paper!

Now, we must tie off the head, add the eyes and seal it up, plus stiffen it up( reiterating the thesis)...this represents the conclusion of the paper...bringing it all together to make a working fly, just like a paper Without tying it off(whip finish) and adding the eyes, it just wouldn't be a fly...just like a paper is not a paper without a conclusion.

Ok....This may seem like a strange idea, but I thought it would be a fun way to get the kids to understand the basic concepts of writing. I welcome your comments!

Cheers,

Sean

That's a very creative idea! I just wonder if it will be effective with 7th graders that are not familiar with the construction of a fly. In other words, if you were teaching experienced fly tiers to write, that would be a good way to relate writing concepts to the tying concepts they are familiar with. Otherwise, it may be more effective to relate writing concepts with/to something 7th graders are familiar with and can relate to such as getting themselves ready for a dance or preparing to play in a ball game, etc. Just a thought, I may be wrong. If what you did works, that is awesome!

Kirk

That's a very creative idea! I just wonder if it will be effective with 7th graders that are not familiar with the construction of a fly. In other words, if you were teaching experienced fly tiers to write, that would be a good way to relate writing concepts to the tying concepts they are familiar with. Otherwise, it may be more effective to relate writing concepts with/to something 7th graders are familiar with and can relate to such as getting themselves ready for a dance or preparing to play in a ball game, etc. Just a thought, I may be wrong. If what you did works, that is awesome!

Kirk

Kirk,

Its more that I construct something as I explain constructing the structure of a paper. I could do anything, such as assemble a birdhouse...make an omelet, etc. This spring we will begin fly tying basics for school spirit month as a weekly extra-curricular activity where the kids sign up to do different activities on fridays.

Oh,when you said, "I can tie a fly and teach them to write better!!" I didn't realize the "I can tie a fly" part was literal. That's totally different having a visual tool for them to relate to. Bravo then! Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Kirk

If you want to teach seventh-graders to write, give them notebooks and take them to a strip club. Nobody worth reading ever learned to write in a classroom.