Fly Tying
vinceu

Vise Advice

Hello all:

I'm brand new. I've been reading up on fly tying since I started fly fishing. I think it's time for me to give it a try. Any advice on a good beginner vise? Not look to spend a lot of money; in case I find tying's not for me. Thank you!

Millions of flies have been tied on a Thompson A. :) Plenty of other decent options out there though for $50-75 though. You can go cheap but you'll probably be buying another one a year in.

Hard to disagree with the Thompson vise if you intend to stay in a fixed vise. But I'd save up and buy one that rotates, not necessarily a true rotary axis vise, but one you can rotate to get a look at all sides of the fly. You can get a good vise for $50-60 and a better vise for $100. The mid-range excellent vises start about $150, and the luxury vises can run up to $600.

You can look at it in two ways: first, if you graduate past the Thompson, you can use it for a backup, but on the other hand, a backup vise is almost never needed, so looking at it that way, it's not a good investment. Buy the better vise if you can afford it. Like others, I started on the Thompson, but didn't like it and soon outgrew it. It'll hold a hook, I'll say that, but it's not particularly user-friendly. There are lots of better vises out there.

Were I buying my first vise, knowing what I know now, I'd get the Renzetti Traveler for around $150 or the Regal, which isn't a true rotary, but it's quick and stable and has a cult following. I've never tied on one but know those who love them.

Avoid those vises made in India or anywhere off-shore. (Except the LAW vise, which is super expensive.) They won't hold a hook making it impossible to develop your skill.

Sound advice from fishinlk and Gene L.....I to started out over 30 years ago w/a Thompson "A" vise....I tied from a 1/0 down to a size 24 on it......not the best vise for either ends of that size range, but perfectly suitable for hook sizes 2 to about 18.....Since you are just starting out flytying, like most everyone else, you will probably start tying bucktail streamers, clousers, woolyworms/buggers.....Unless you are tying Northen pike/saltwater size, you can get by tying those on a $20.00 budget vise to see if you enjoy the hobby....if you do enjoy it, you will want to eventually upgrade....At tha time, go to your local flyshop and try out some of the different models and see what you like....

Mike

I agree with Gene L. After going through the old Thompson with the rotary wheel, the new Thompson (which still works), I bought an inexpensive rotary vise by Terra (made in India). It has the wood-clamp style jaws, which may be fine, but these never held a hook tightly. Lasted about a year before the screws on the jaws stripped. I looked at the Renzetti traveler, but I thought the base was too light, plus it has a similar style jaw. So,for the same price, I bought the Peak rotary at the local Nebraska-based sporting goods store. Nice heavy pedestal and a firm cam-activated jaw. So far so good.

Anvil makes some good inexpensive (starter) vises> I have a Dan-Vice and it's a fair vise for the price. Al Beatty and his wife use the Dan-Vice I believe...

You might give this one a look:

http://www.jsflyfishing.com/cgi-bin/item/OF-900690-0000/80100/Just-Simply-Tools-Rotating-Spring-Action-Vise.html

I have not used it, but I have a Regal Medallion that works on the same principle.

Got my son the same vise from Bass Pro for Christmas. he likes it a lot better than the thompson knock-off he was using. the spring action makes it much easier for him to load hooks. I read a couple reviews on different sites before buying it and I would say it is one of the best sub $50 vises I have seen.

I thought about getting one for myself for spinning deer hair (c-clamp) but it doesnt hold the big hooks tight enough so I will probably end up with a Regal. If you are tying bigger than size 4 or so I dont think it would be a good choice, but for the bulk of the trout fly sizes it works very well.

My first was a Cabela's starter kit Starter kit When I first started nothing was pretty and the vise was pretty cheap and crappy... I didn't know any better when I first started. I couldn't lock the upright shaft so that would want to spin and the tools it came with were well, starter tools. I now use this Current one and I love it. I have the base mount and it works like a dream. Yeah it is a little more money but it is good quality. Worst case scenario you decide it isn't for you... with the Renzetti you can at least sell this and get money back where with a cheap starter kit you would probably be giving it away or trash. I am sure you will find this as addicting as the rest of us and if you do buy cheap you will be upgrading before you know it like others have said...It is all in how serious you want to be with it though.

I'll concur with Gene. I started with a Griffin Superior 2A and still have it. The downside is that I quickly realized I wanted a rotary. There are several reasons a rotary just makes things easier. For example, it makes applying body materials, hackle, etc easier. It also makes it a lot easier to see if you have an even distribution of materials w/o removing the hook from the vise. And finally, if you need to invert the hook for any reason you simply flip it over (ok, so that's kind of like the 2nd point but I don't care.)

The only thing I'll disagree on is the price. While I got my Renzetti for $165 it was only because the shop was closing. I think it's closer to $200-$250 new. I really like the vise.

I think it's more wise to buy one vise up front and spend the money on a good one. If you like tying then you're already set. If you don't it should be fairly easy to get most of your money back. Buy once cry once. ;-)

I agree with JaxFly 110%. Get a quality vise of your choice. As you start to tie, you will quickly progress in your skills. Nothing is a greater impediment to developing your skills as poor or inappropiate equipment. Bad equipment will hold you back, and not allow you to do more advanced/different things. Granted that price is always an issue, but that should not be your only consideration. Whether its tying equipment, power tools, household goods, etc, I want a quality item that will do the job, do it well, last a long time, and not cause me any aggravation, or soul searching.

I'm with kentuckytroutbum on this wholly, get something good. You're gonna either buy a $20 and then buy another one more expensive later, then you have $20 less in your pocket. Or you can buy a good one, and have $20 more for materials. I've learned very well that it pays to get decent stuff, maybe not top dollar, superfluous stuff, but good stuff. Don't go scant on your research, you will be unhappy with a lot of your purchases if you do. That's the reason I picked an HMH over other kinds of vises, a Samsung over a iPod, an Allis-Chalmers over John Deere or Cub Cadet, Gerber over Leatherman, Craftsman over El Cheapo, Head over Wilson or Babolat. All from research, I admit some are not necessarily high quality than the other, but they serve me better. Though Samsung is much better than iPod (Sound quality), and Allis-Chalmers is much better than any other tractor manufacturer. :) And HMH is a rock solid vise, very well built, and from stories I've heard has the best customer service around. Customer service is a big factor/issue. Just my thoughts, don't go scant on quality.