Fly Tying
novabass

fly fishing for Asian Carp?

BUT- having grown up on the great lakes in the 80s, I well remember how there was just as much "ecosystem apocalypse" associated with the zebra mussels, spiny water fleas, and then gobies. Those were all going to be End-of-the-World invasives at various times.

I never saw the potential problems with the Gobies so that wasn't really one I thought posed too much of a threat, but zebra mussels actually have had a big impact on many of our rivers and lakes here in Michigan. There are some places where the bottom is just covered with them. Since this is a A.carp discussion I won;t sidetrack it onto something else. But Z.Mussels actually have had a big impact on many of our rivers/lakes here in Michigan in a negative way.

Steve

Steve- I agree- they have indeed caused big impacts in many ways and I'm not arguing that. I am not sidetracking the thread, just pointing out another view. I remember the talk and writings at the time though were very much the same as with AC now and it hasn't ended the ecosystem. Same with the Spiny Water Fleas in Lake Erie- at times we used to have to bring in our trolling lines every 5 minutes or so to clear off the globs of them which accumulated. Uncountable billions of them in the water. They're plankton feeders which were predicted to end the food chain from the bottom up too, combined with the Z mussels there would be nothing left to start the food chain. Certainly had an effect, but didn't end the fisheries.

I'm not blowing off the AC threat as a non-issue, I'm just hoping it won't be as bad as a lot of folks are predicting.

I know what your saying JS, but I think the reason for even more serious concern with AC than any other things like Z.Mussels or Spiny water fleas is just the sheer amount of plankton that each Ac can eat x the huge numbers of them after they have established a presence and reproduced. I think that is why the carp are being viewed as the biggest threat to date.

But I agree with you I have never wanted to be so wrong in my life and I truly hope everyone is wrong. Because if they end up spreading and taking over the Great Lakes that would destroy the largest freshwater fishery in the world :unsure:

i was watching a documentary on hulu about the asian carp invasion and they are trying to come up with ways to combat the asain carp reaching the great lakes and they came up with this electric barrier that is supposed to shock the carp and make them turn around but if they are starting to starve like the documentary said they where then i doubt you will keep them out of the richer water just with a few shocks of electricity they need to build some type of physical barrier

Use to be a condo president here in Florida; had pons with some very large amurs in them. The secret is give some children some bread and let them feed them for a while and then you tie on little fly called Bread Crust (the old Noll Fly Tying Guide had it listed). Caught my far share on a 5 wt.and the fight was excellent.

Grass Carp, and that other carp are different species, we catch them here in south florida when they are feeding under ficus trees, we tye berry flies. Now this guy here has ome other tips:

Grass Carp

Unlike most fish that can starve themselves out of existence by clearing the food sources out (also a common problem when hunting restrictions allow deer populations to get too large) Asian Carp actually help their food source by eating more. Filter feeders are just fine with algae blooms, which become more abundant when there's more ... crap ... in the water. Fecal matter, vegetation, dead fish, fertilizers from nice green yards or anything else that produces nutrients help support the algae ... and the carp keep on keepin' on.

If only they made size 44 hooks and microscopic chenille..... :lol:

I'm sorry, I had to. The only way I've heard of catching asian carp is by netting them or using a bowfishing outfit. I know some buffalo and other sucker species are filter feeders (I think) and they can be caught. I may be mistaken too. :ph34r:

i have caught them on fly tackle. They eat crayfish as well as bugs off the surface and yes im speaking about asian carp.