Fly Tying
mainbutter

All about eyes

Anyone want to share some of the various techniques for adding eyes to streamers and other flies that might have eyes on them? Sometimes I look at a fly and it looks like that it's just plastic eyes glued right on a feather. Wouldn't there be a lack of adhesion and have flies where eyes fly off while casting?

Thanks for any tips!

Anyone want to share some of the various techniques for adding eyes to streamers and other flies that might have eyes on them? Sometimes I look at a fly and it looks like that it's just plastic eyes glued right on a feather. Wouldn't there be a lack of adhesion and have flies where eyes fly off while casting?

Thanks for any tips!

There are many different ways to add eyes. Part of it depends, as you mention, which material you want to attach the eye to. Jungle cock or painted eyes match well with a feather body. Depending on the size and material I attach them to the thread base at the head and use fabric glue or epoxy. I've also used the flat sticker eyes with a dose of flex cement (wrap with mono which disappears under head cement). Use the adhesive that will flex with the amount of the material you use.