Fly Tying
WYKnot

Funny things I have overheard in fly shops

Funny things I have overheard in fly shops:

“This rod is brown! You know I can’t do brown, it’s not my color. Don’t they have anything in a spring color, maybe a pastel?”

(while looking at nymph patterns) “These are so ugly, they look like real bugs! Where do they keep the pretty ones?”

...and the ever entertaining....

“Honey, do these waders make me look fat?”

"You don't buy a Winston rod just for yourself, you hand it down as a family heirloom"... this was directly from the lips of the Winston sales rep at a fly fishing expo in Atlanta a few years ago, back when I was fishing with a Bass Pro rod and Okuma reel that totalled around $200. $600 for a fly rod?!? And now I own a Loomis that retails at over $700... at least I only paid half-price for it!

Don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining!

"Does the color of the string (...fly line...) have to match the pole?"

"My husband wants some 'tidbit', whatever that is; it says '6X' on his lsit, so give me 6 of them."

I almost forgot these...

"That fly you sold me last week worked great, I want another one just like it. I don't remember what is was called, but it was on a little fish hook."

"What a scam, ain't no way I'm paying that much for a pair of waders." Customer then drives away in a BMW SUV.

QUOTE (WYKnot @ Dec 8 2004, 12:05 PM)
I almost forgot these...

"That fly you sold me last week worked great, I want another one just like it. I don't remember what is was called, but it was on a little fish hook."

"What a scam, ain't no way I'm paying that much for a pair of waders." Customer then drives away in a BMW SUV.

For many years I've made my living in consumer electronics. You hear weird things in that business, too. Your last comment about the BMW reminded me of a fellow who came into the shop I was working for about a decade ago. This fellow is a BILLIONAIRE who's family owns Great American Life, Chiquita and a few other companies you might have heard of. He buys a camcorder to use on a trip he's taking to Alaska with his grandson. After an hour of "educating" this gentleman he decides to take the full measure of product I'd presented. It was about $1200 worth of stuff. As I'm writing it up he actually said "Well, don't I get a discount?" ohmy.gif

I pointed out that I really like the Bentley he drove up in and asked if it was the supercharged Mulliner. dunno.gif He didn't bring up the discount again. headbang.gif

Joe C.

QUOTE (WYKnot @ Dec 8 2004, 08:11 AM)

There may be a couple of answers to that one but only one "safe" answer. wink.gif

QUOTE (Sippy @ Dec 8 2004, 12:59 PM)
QUOTE (WYKnot @ Dec 8 2004, 08:11 AM)

There may be a couple of answers to that one but only one "safe" answer. wink.gif

..and that might be, "No way, Sweetheart. In fact, I think they make you look younger!" smile.gif

..and that might be, "No way, Sweatheart. In fact, I think they make you look younger!"

Bzzzt, wrong, but thanks for playing! devil.gif

The response to the statement above, will of course be:

"So, you think I look old?!?!?!?" bugeyes.gif

Jason

Not to mention the "sweat"heart issue biggrin.gif