Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Woodinfliezz

to tube or not to tube

i want to get a tube or a kayak just not sure which to go with any one have any specific preference and the reason why? if you tube what brand is the best?

Yaks and tubes are fun, I have one of each.The tube, for me is better for fishing the lake that I fish.I have The Caddis Nav.II, It is an ok boat, I would like to get into the fish cat 4, much nicer boat.As far as yaks, I love them as well.me and my wife can cruz around all day and it is a blast.The thing about fishing out of my yak, there is is just too much stuff going on.You got a paddle and your rod in your hands.The wind starts pushing you around,I cant aim or get a good cast out.I dont know,as far as fishing for me,my tube gets it done.Some times I will tow my tube out with my yak to the far side of the lake and fish stuff that I cant kick to.Getting out on a yak or tube is one of the best ways to really enjoy your time on the water.

www.kayakbassfishing.com

www.southernriverfishing.com

Ask any of those guys! A kayak is way better. I absoultly love fishing out of kayaks with my fly rod! Tubes restrict having much with you to carry and the ability to move locations. And with a kayak if you can walk to the water you can put kayak in.

I have tube stuffed away in the closet you can have for the cost of shipping it. I wuld have to look to see what brand it is but it is in good condition and did a great job for me. I am a "little" over 200lb and it did really well for me. I may have used it 6-7 times. I wont be using it as there are two of us fishing these days.

Paul

all depends of what you do! i would love a Yak for larger prairy lakes but will take my tube to mountain ponds. but a Yak can go down a river.....it goes on. i would say a yak is more versitile but not as packable

I picked up the Freedowm Hawk last year. Stand up kayak fishing made all the difference, the stability is great, has an anchor boom and a trolling motor mount that I do use. But she is one heavy girl! If my jeep can get close, the yak is going, if I have to hump bush, I'm taking a tube. Your own application will dictate necessity.

I have two float tubes and an inflatable kayak (Sevylor Rio)I use for still-water fishing. For me, the trade-off is simple. The kayak allows me to cover a lot more territory, without sacrificing portability being an inflatable. The float tube allows much more control of position when fishing. I use an anchor for the kayak to allow more control in a wind/chop, and it helps a lot. Bit of a headache to lift the anchor and drop it repeatedly, but its what I find I need to do to fish effectively. I use them both, more inclined to go with the tube for small water, kayak for big water/cover more water.

Tom

I've had a few float tubes over the years, and they are a lot of fun.

The only advantage over a kayak that I can see is: potentially you can pack your deflated floaty in a backpack along with your waders(maybe), fins, sinker, and other fishing gear, and hike distances into some remote ponds. If that's not something you will be doing, then IMO kayaks win, there isn't even much of a contest. I have a couple fishing-specific kayaks now, a Wilderness Tarpon 120 and a Wilderness Ride 135, and I am extremely happy with them. I started with the Tarpon then bought the Ride so my son and I can fish together more often. They are both super-stable and the Ride is built specifically deck space to stand. I've had it out and and cast while standing no problem. Then again I don't find I need to stand much to cast but it does increase visibility into the water when that's important. No funky hinged swing out things like the Freedom Hawk although everything I've heard about the Hawk has been good.

Kayak fishing can be as supremely simple, or as complicated as you make it. A good fishing kayak will cost you more than a float tube too, but it is infinitely more versatile.

well where i will be fishing at is just a few small ponds here on base thats why i even mentioned the tubes and kayaks are kind of more than i can spend right now. what brand of kayak/tube do you all recommend? and a good place to purchase them ohh and is there difference in the ocean kayak ?? if i fish freshwater all the time would it be a bad idea to buy one that is ocean??

i want to get a tube or a kayak just not sure which to go with any one have any specific preference and the reason why? if you tube what brand is the best?

I am using the Timan inflatable kayak made by the Drakar (Lithuanian firm). It is 12' long, and weights about 22 pounds. I am using it in the lakes (including the big ones), rivers (up to the ones rated 3), and sea. A great boat, it is strong and very safe! You can not make 3 mph in the float-tube..

post-34261-0-53098400-1329520365_thumb.jpg

post-34261-0-25523100-1329520398_thumb.jpg

If you purchase a tube. The best bang for the buck is Outcast. No matter the price point they will stand behind what you purchased from them. My personal preference for tube over kayak is fishing time. Still or moving water. That includes going from point A to point B. I fish my way there, trolling if it's a long distance. Sure it's slower but I'm not in any hurry anyways.