Fly Tying
kimjensen

Anvil Apex

Haven't actually tied on one but I just sold one to a friend and he really likes it. I looked it over pretty good and it seems really well made for the $$. Other reviews that I've seen have it ranked pretty well in it's price range as well. :)

I have tied a few flies on one, and it seemed to be good quality. I have never heard bad things about them.

I bought one originally as a travel vise because I heard/read good things about it...it come w/both "C" clamp and pedestal base....played w/it at the local flyshop first......very solid....very happy w/it.....

Mike

I started with one and moved on to a rotary. I liked the Anvil. Well built and you can't beat the price.

I am slightly confused. Several responses say that they had an Anvil Apex, but upgraded to a rotary? Are we talking about the Made in the USA silver Anvil Apex that comes with c-clamp and base? Because that is a rotary vise. A very good one! I just retired my 20 year old Regal and got an Anvil Apex. It has a wonderfully smooth straight rotary system,and as advertised holds size 28 to size 7/0. IT makes using epoxy and CCG a cinch!I don't know if the other posters were confused with brands or maybe they have older vises, but the new Anvil Apex is a true rotary vise!

Cheers,

Sean

Anvil also make a True rotary vise called the Atlas.It is great I have tied on it and liked it better than I need the peak, and it also comes with both bases. You can even find them on ebay new at around $125.00.

I started with one and moved on to a rotary. I liked the Anvil. Well built and you can't beat the price.

I am slightly confused. Several responses say that they had an Anvil Apex, but upgraded to a rotary? Are we talking about the Made in the USA silver Anvil Apex that comes with c-clamp and base? Because that is a rotary vise. A very good one! I just retired my 20 year old Regal and got an Anvil Apex. It has a wonderfully smooth straight rotary system,and as advertised holds size 28 to size 7/0. IT makes using epoxy and CCG a cinch!I don't know if the other posters were confused with brands or maybe they have older vises, but the new Anvil Apex is a true rotary vise!

Cheers,

Sean

I also had an anvil apex. Whilst it is rotary in the sense that you can rotate the fly, it is not true rotary. In other words when the fly is rotated, the axis that the hook shank is on does not remain horizontal.

I also made this mistake when buying my first vice (the apex) and was conned by the packaging and sales pitch which says "full" rotary as opposed to true rotary.

I would advise you have a good think about what you want out of the vice before deciding and get familiar with how the two types differ.

My apex was a waste of money as I realised what the benefits of true rotary were and bought one. That said, I did manage to get most of my money back on ebay. :)

My advice would be to decide what your ideal vice is and save for it. In the mean time use a basic but good quality vice.

Cheers,

Sean

I also had an anvil apex. Whilst it is rotary in the sense that you can rotate the fly, it is not true rotary. In other words when the fly is rotated, the axis that the hook shank is on does not remain horizontal.

I also made this mistake when buying my first vice (the apex) and was conned by the packaging and sales pitch which says "full" rotary as opposed to true rotary.

I would advise you have a good think about what you want out of the vice before deciding and get familiar with how the two types differ.

My apex was a waste of money as I realised what the benefits of true rotary were and bought one. That said, I did manage to get most of my money back on ebay. :)

My advice would be to decide what your ideal vice is and save for it. In the mean time use a basic but good quality vice.

Sir,

With due regard, you are wrong. I have tied on pretty much every vise marketed in the USA, while giving in-shop tying demos and at shows. I have the Apex, I humbly ask that you let me set you straight on the Anvil Apex. If you are a tier with a bit of time under your belt (myself--- 30 years tying, 12 years Commercially), you would realize that you can do everything on a $100 Apex that you can do on a $600 Nor-vise. I have tied pretty much any type of fly you could name and I will with confidence "tell" you that you can tie any fly which needs a rotary vise on this. I'm sorry you felt you were "conned", which I suspect is code for "just couldn't figure it out". I would also suspect you got talked out of it by someone with brand loyalties or who sells them. Fly vises are no different then the Ford/Cheverolet/Mopar debate..lol. To each his own though. Please enlighten us as the "the benefits of a true rotary vise" ( as explained to you by the person who told ya the Apex wasen't rotary. BTW, what do you tie that a rotary is so essential? F/W? S/W? Some of the greatest tiers of all time used a Double A.

Sincerely,

Sean

I've got the apex and love it. everything I need, and got a killer deal. You can't go wrong.

I took the little thumb screw on the side completely off (the one that controls the rotary tension) just cause it got in my way. But it isn't essential, and even if it starts off a little tight, hit it with some WD 40 and in a few rotations it will "break in" to silky smoothness. I can't believe I ever tied without this thing. Good hold on hooks I've used size 4 to 20.

Somehow I broke the c clamp base, but it was my fault (improper storage) and I always used the pedestal base instead anyhow. Don't know if the warranty covers my acts of stupidity, but let me know if you've got experience in that.

Cheers,

Sean

Sir,

With due regard, you are wrong. I have tied on pretty much every vise marketed in the USA, while giving in-shop tying demos and at shows. I have the Apex, I humbly ask that you let me set you straight on the Anvil Apex. If you are a tier with a bit of time under your belt (myself--- 30 years tying, 12 years Commercially), you would realize that you can do everything on a $100 Apex that you can do on a $600 Nor-vise. I have tied pretty much any type of fly you could name and I will with confidence "tell" you that you can tie any fly which needs a rotary vise on this. I'm sorry you felt you were "conned", which I suspect is code for "just couldn't figure it out". I would also suspect you got talked out of it by someone with brand loyalties or who sells them. Fly vises are no different then the Ford/Cheverolet/Mopar debate..lol. To each his own though. Please enlighten us as the "the benefits of a true rotary vise" ( as explained to you by the person who told ya the Apex wasen't rotary. BTW, what do you tie that a rotary is so essential? F/W? S/W? Some of the greatest tiers of all time used a Double A.

Sincerely,

Sean

the Anvil Apex is what, INLINE rotary? Yes you can adjust the head angle to zero degrees and sort of align the hook shank on the axis of rotation. Just like an HMH. The jaws are such that you'll get a little bit of oscillation of the shank. No big deal. I don't have any experience tying on a Nor-Vise, but what I've seen is the fast spinning "flywheel" or "lathe" methods that are possible on a Nor-Vise which no other commonly available vise can do. Personally I don't have any desire to tie flies that way, so there would be no benefit for me. Yes, you could sit there and spin any other rotary vise the same number of revolutions, but just not as quickly as with a Nor-vise.

Anyone who has tied flies for a while, myself also 30+ years, could pick up a hook, thread, and some fuzz from the carpet and tie a fly which will catch fish.

Rotary is not and has never been "essential", but it is a feature which a whole lot of folks prefer.

Hi folks.

Thanks allot for all your reply's :)

One of my friends has offered me his Anvil Apex vise for a good price. Can't wait to try it. :)

Just my 2cents. I have tied off and on for 40yrs but I am no expert. I tie on a Dan-Vise for 4yrs and like it fine but it is a pain for tying Clouser type flys where it requires tying on both sides of the hook shank. I found that I don't have the needed room when I spin the fly upside down. I have to unclamp and turn the hook and reclanp. I have been looking at the Apex and set the jaws level so when I spin the hook I have the same tying room on both sides of the hook. I don't tie a lot of clousers but I do tie a lot of flies with bead chain on top of the shank and then tie the fly on the bottom of the shank clouser style. I think the Apex will be better for this.