Fly Tying
kimjensen

Anvil Apex

I am slightly confused. Several responses say that they had an Anvil Apex, but upgraded to a rotary? Are we talking about the Made in the USA silver Anvil Apex that comes with c-clamp and base? Because that is a rotary vise. A very good one! I just retired my 20 year old Regal and got an Anvil Apex. It has a wonderfully smooth straight rotary system,and as advertised holds size 28 to size 7/0. IT makes using epoxy and CCG a cinch!I don't know if the other posters were confused with brands or maybe they have older vises, but the new Anvil Apex is a true rotary vise!

Cheers,

Sean

I also had an anvil apex. Whilst it is rotary in the sense that you can rotate the fly, it is not true rotary. In other words when the fly is rotated, the axis that the hook shank is on does not remain horizontal.

I also made this mistake when buying my first vice (the apex) and was conned by the packaging and sales pitch which says "full" rotary as opposed to true rotary.

I would advise you have a good think about what you want out of the vice before deciding and get familiar with how the two types differ.

My apex was a waste of money as I realised what the benefits of true rotary were and bought one. That said, I did manage to get most of my money back on ebay. :)

My advice would be to decide what your ideal vice is and save for it. In the mean time use a basic but good quality vice.

Sir,

With due regard, you are wrong. I have tied on pretty much every vise marketed in the USA, while giving in-shop tying demos and at shows. I have the Apex, I humbly ask that you let me set you straight on the Anvil Apex. If you are a tier with a bit of time under your belt (myself--- 30 years tying, 12 years Commercially), you would realize that you can do everything on a $100 Apex that you can do on a $600 Nor-vise. I have tied pretty much any type of fly you could name and I will with confidence "tell" you that you can tie any fly which needs a rotary vise on this. I'm sorry you felt you were "conned", which I suspect is code for "just couldn't figure it out". I would also suspect you got talked out of it by someone with brand loyalties or who sells them. Fly vises are no different then the Ford/Cheverolet/Mopar debate..lol. To each his own though. Please enlighten us as the "the benefits of a true rotary vise" ( as explained to you by the person who told ya the Apex wasen't rotary. BTW, what do you tie that a rotary is so essential? F/W? S/W? Some of the greatest tiers of all time used a Double A.

Sincerely,

Sean

If you have been tying for 30 years you know fine well that the apex is not what most people consider to be a true rotary vice. Your original question appears to have been set as bait so that someone would reply as I did, and you would have a chance to push your point of view and tout your years of experience! Putting the words "regard", "respect" and "humbly" in your post does not disguise the condescending tone in your reply.

As it happens I did not have anyone to help me choose a vice and I had to work it out through trial and error. I managed to "figure out" that the apex wasn't rotary all by myself! I do not believe the apex is as wonderful a piece of engineering as you do and I am entitled to my opinion. The vice I replaced it with is infinitely superior and cost only twice as much as the apex.

As to the benefits of a true rotary vice they should be obvious to anyone who has been tying as long as your good self.

Si_ ,

I am wondering what the vice "I replaced it with is infinitely superior and cost only twice as much as the apex" is and what you tie and how often, etc. I can't really get a handle on your F/F preference based on your 2-letter user name. If you perceived my post as "condescending", my apologies. It has been my experience that there are those in cyber land that really have "no dog in the fight", but feel the need to interject without knowledge of the product they speak. Not that I think that is you...

No one is questioning the quality of the anvil vise, It is a solid vise, However people may choose to move on from the vise as their skills and needs advance. I realize that its not necessary to move on as some of the finest tyers tied on a thompson A vise. Its a personal choice, nothing more. Vises are like cars they all do the same basic thing, some have more bells and whistles some are utilitarian.

Si_ ,

I am wondering what the vice "I replaced it with is infinitely superior and cost only twice as much as the apex" is and what you tie and how often, etc. I can't really get a handle on your F/F preference based on your 2-letter user name. If you perceived my post as "condescending", my apologies. It has been my experience that there are those in cyber land that really have "no dog in the fight", but feel the need to interject without knowledge of the product they speak. Not that I think that is you...

Fair enough, apology accepted. The vice I replaced it with is the JVice which can be seen here.

As to what I tie and how often, I am not sure what bearing it has on the rotary function of the apex. As it goes, I tie flies for brown, rainbow and sea trout, as well as salmon, pike and some saltwater species. My user name reflects my name as opposed to my fly fishing preference, and therefore I wouldn't expect you to get much from it, except a means of address.

I wasn't aware that there was a fight to have a "dog in". As far as I was concerned I was giving my point of view on a product I once owned, which someone was asking for opinions on. You can rest assured that I will not comment on something which I am completely ignorant of.

I hope your apex vice continues to serve you well. If you ever consider changing it, may I wholeheartedly recommend you buy a JVice!

All the best.

Just my 2cents. I have tied off and on for 40yrs but I am no expert. I tie on a Dan-Vise for 4yrs and like it fine but it is a pain for tying Clouser type flys where it requires tying on both sides of the hook shank. I found that I don't have the needed room when I spin the fly upside down. I have to unclamp and turn the hook and reclanp. I have been looking at the Apex and set the jaws level so when I spin the hook I have the same tying room on both sides of the hook. I don't tie a lot of clousers but I do tie a lot of flies with bead chain on top of the shank and then tie the fly on the bottom of the shank clouser style. I think the Apex will be better for this.

excellent point- I do tie a LOT of Clouser deep minnows as well as other bucktails with material on both the top and bottom of the shank. I have tied hundreds of perfectly good ones on my Peak which is the style commonly accepted as "rotary". That said, I found it so much more enjoyable to tie them on a vise which can be adjusted to zero degrees, such as the Anvil or the HMH. I use my Peak for almost everything, but I use my HMH Spartan for tying bucktails.

I use the Anvil Apex. I've noticed that the small hex/allen screw holding the jaws in the vise comes loose and if you have the thumb screw loosened to rotate the vise when the hex screw loosens, the jaws can slide completely out of the vise. I have been trying to get the set-up right where I can have the rotation and not worry about the vise jaws falling out the back of the vise. Anyone have any tips? I've screwed the hex key in as tight as possible, but then you can't rotate it at all. As soon as I have it loosened a little to where I can adjust rotation using the thumb screw, the hex key begins to gradually loosen until I notice that that jaws can be pulled out of the back end if the apparatus holding them in place. Then I get out the hex key and retighten it. It's becoming a big pain.

A rotary vise ... the hook shank will be at the center of rotation.

Vice with rotatable shaft. Can be used like a rotary, but the hook shank is not centered in rotation without playing around with things.

Preferences and what you are used to mean everything.

a "TRUE" rotary vise rotates the the shank of the hook parallel with the center of rotation of the vise

example

http://www.stoneriveroutfitters.com/prodimg/T01131.jpg

a "ROTARY" vise rotates the hook but it will wobble in its rotation

example

http://www.orvis.com/orvis_assets/prodimg/62KEF4FC.jpg

a "STATIONARY"vise does not rotate at all example

http://www.flyfishtools.com/catalog/PNRV.jpg

FWIW - I use the larger Anvil (Atlas) and I suspect it'll still be around when the next Ice Age dawns. It's that rugged. If you encounter any problems with an Anvil, all you have to do is call the company. I was having trouble getting used to the grooved jaws on the Atlas, so I called Anvil and spoke for the better part of an hour with the engineer (David) who actually designed and built the vise. He couldn't have been more helpful. Great product, great service.

I use the Anvil Apex. I've noticed that the small hex/allen screw holding the jaws in the vise comes loose and if you have the thumb screw loosened to rotate the vise when the hex screw loosens, the jaws can slide completely out of the vise. I have been trying to get the set-up right where I can have the rotation and not worry about the vise jaws falling out the back of the vise. Anyone have any tips? I've screwed the hex key in as tight as possible, but then you can't rotate it at all. As soon as I have it loosened a little to where I can adjust rotation using the thumb screw, the hex key begins to gradually loosen until I notice that that jaws can be pulled out of the back end if the apparatus holding them in place. Then I get out the hex key and retighten it. It's becoming a big pain.

Steiner, I think you might have a dodgy vice there. I don't ever remember having a problem with the jaws coming loose on my apex. I used to rotate it all the time and they were always rock solid. I suggest you take it back where it came from or send it to anvil. I think it has a lifetime warranty?

I have the Anvil Atlas (the rotary vise be the same company) but I researched both while shopping. i got the rotary cuz I had the cash and thought I needed it (debateble), the wife still thinks it's necassary. You can put the Apex in a 90 deg. position and use it as a rotary. The quality of my vise is good not much "wiggle room" for any of the parts, good tolerances and I have to assume that the apex will be similar in quality. The other reason I got the rotary (the thing that sold me on it) because I can put every size hook in it's jaws from a 32 to a 7/0 and get great holding power. I believe the Apex will be a good purchase based on my experience with it's brother.

P.S. these vises are not Lamborghini's, they are Ford work trucks that with respect and occasional maintenance will last a long time

For what it's worth, Anvil sold the vise manufacturing part of the company to Wolff Industries. Check the Anvil website for details.

Anvil still makes the scissors.

I have an apex anvil. I like it, never gave me any trouble.

I've been using it for 3 years or more and haven't found any reason to switch.

Easy adjustment, good tight jaws I tie from size 8's to size 22's and works fine for me.

And you can't beat the price.

I don't tie a whole lot but I love this vice. When I first got it a couple of years ago there was a burr on the jaws. I just took a small stone and removed it. I just ordered a bobbin holder for it. I don't how much better a vice can be than this to spend major $$$$$$$?