Fly Tying
scottross09

Starting out

I am wanting to get started tying flies. Is there any advice that any of you can give. Also, I really don't want to break the bank getting started, so what is your opinion on bang for your buck when it comes to purchasing a complete fly tying station and/or everything that comes with it.

Do you fly fish already? If so do you have any favorite flies? If so, start out by buying the materials that you need for those flies.

Do not buy a tying kit. Rather determine the amount you want to spend to get started, then buy a quality pair of scissors, a good bobbin and decent vise. A decent vise is tough to define, it could be a $25 thompson knockoff, it could by a $75 mid level vise, it could be a $200 high end rotary or it could be a rusty pair of vise grips held between your knees. Your tastes and budget will play a major role in vise selection. You will need a pointy piece of metal (called a bodkin) for applying head cement, you can buy one or use a needle from home. Hackle pliers are nice if you are tying dry flies. Finally a whip finish tool is helpful if you dont want to learn to whip finish by hand.

Hopefully that didnt muddy the waters too much for you.

Starting small is really the way to go. Decide what type of flies you are going to use. Then buy the appropriate tools for that. Kits are nice but they usually contain general ingredients for a wide variety of flies and people. It's also a good way to unload crappy stuff on people who don't know better (I'm sure there are some quality kits out there but the will cost you). I started tying flies by holding the hook in my hand years ago because I didn't know anyone who fly fished and there were very few books around then. Whatever you get buy decent stuff. You buy crap, you get crap...don't need to buy a $500 vice for tying a few dozen flies per season. Get a decent bobin holder as well as a decent pair of scissors as well. You can slowly build up your arsenal as you learn, you might not like it so this small investment won't hurt you.

Good luck

nindja

Thanks for the help. I have fished for close to 20+ years, maybe the last 15 fly fishing only, but I get out close to 2 times a year or have in the past. I recently moved somewhere that allows me to get into some good water in about 15-20 minutes so it gives me the opportunity to fish a hatch in the evening or morning, or go kick around for a day a little easier. I primarily will be using caddis flies, along with parachute adams, and stimulators. I am planning on teaching myself to nymph fish this summer, but I have no idea what I would use there. So I will probably head to my local Orvis store for those.

Crotalus has given you some good advise. You can always use 3 half hitches to finish the fly. I have for many years and had no problem with flies coming apart, even in the salt. Stockton has a couple of cheap vises that look interesting and may be worth investigating. I started with a cheap Thompson knock off and it sucked. I ended up useing small vise grips welded to a 3/8" rod for many years. I would recommend a vise in the 60 to 100 $$.

Buying materials is endless. Get just what you need for a couple of flies and go from there. I go fishing to lose flies so I can tie more to replace them plus some extras in case I lose them.

Getting Started

This is an article that I wrote just for folks like you looking to get started. I had hoped that they would pin it so you wouldn't have to dig for it but for some reason it never got pinned.

Anyhow, hope this helps.

Enjoyed your article Markbob.

I'm fairly new to tying and I'm still learning a bunch. So, take my input with that in mind.

I found that a book was a lot of help. I looked at several, but the one that stood out to me as the BEST was Charlie Craven's book - "Basic Fly Tying". I liked his writing and the description of his approach to tying. The book is a progression from pattern to pattern that Craven believes sets you up with several fundamental skills. So, it is not a catalog of a lot of flies. I found it has helped me develop skills that are useful with other patterns. The photography was excellent and the number of pictures was useful.

Watching others people tie (in person) was also a great help. You'll see several approaches to accomplish the same goal and you'll probably pickup a "trick" or two that will limit frustration with some of the trickier aspects of tying. I've seen some of the local experts tie and they've been very generous and helpful.

Watching videos was also quite helpful. Pick a few patterns that you like and see if you can find it on Youtube. I was surprised at how many videos I could find.

As a side note, have tied several flies of one type with the hope of "perfecting" my technique. At first, I would keep the best and then take an exacto knife to the ones that didn't cut it. I now donate acceptably tied flies to Casting for Recovery. It works out great. I can continue to tie and help out a little in the process. I hope this is ok to post. I'm not affiliated with the CFR, but I do have much admiration for what they do.

Dilettante: that is good advice. In fact all of this help has been awesome. I think I am going to start with a kit. See if it is something that I really get into, if not I am not out a bunch of money. I will definitely get a book also, now to find one that has the northwest mountain streams in mind.

So I went over to my dad's house yesterday to talk fly tying with him, and I walked out of there with a vise, hackle plyers, three bobbins, and two pairs of scissors. So I went down to my local fly shop and got some thread, a brown hackle cape, some tinsel, dear hair, bobkin, a ton of hooks, and a whip finish tool. Grand total 94 dollars and I am ready to tie something. I can't complain about that too much.