Fly Tying
Greybull River Rat

Does a magnifying glass/lamp help or get in the way?

I now have my fly tying tools and materials and am about ready to start practicing after doing a lot of reading. There doesn't seem to be much discussion about using a magnifying glass and lamp to help with seeing the delicate work on the smaller flies. Why? Is it a good idea or does it simply get in bthe way?

I guess it depends on your eyesight.....I never needed any help in the past.....about 3 years ago i started using reading glasses.....this year I bought a magnifier w/an adjustable arm for the smaller stuff....getting old sucks....

Mike

I tried using one of those round lights with the magnifying glass in the center and found it really messed my depth perception up. Switched to reading glasses and have no problem at all. I would say try one out before you spend the money.

And yes, this "Autumn of your years" is a bunch of BS, LOL.

I have the Pro Light, which has an LED light on one arm and then on the other arm has a 4x magnifier. I love it! It makes all the difference when you are tying size 18 and below...

-Forrest

I didn't like the magnifier between me and the vise. After I had the cataract off my right eye I can't focus close with it. I can tie down to size 10 or so just using my left eye. For smaller flies I bought a cheap pair of reading glasses at Bass Pro. The first pair I bought was at the dollar store for one dollar, but the quality of the lenses wasn't up to par for the small flies. Chose BPS over Wally world and grocery store cause the arms were camo and made me feel slightly better about having to wear reading glasses.

Spouse bought me the giraffe light and magnifier a couple of years ago. I love it. Even haul it in my trailer for when I tie while camping.

The answer to both is YES! Sometimes they help and sometimes they get in the way.

The magnifying glass and lamp combo I bought when added to the catch basket and

profile plate was one thing too many and it tended to get in the way of my hands in

tying. However, for some operations a hand held magnifying glass has been a great

asset when one hand was free to hold the glass.

Both will help. Especially a light. I use a high intensity light that I got for Christmas. As I got older I began to use a Headset magnifier. Both of these are up to how well your area is lighted and how will you can see the small hooks.

The answer to both is YES! Sometimes they help and sometimes they get in the way.

i 100% agree with that answer. in my case, i actually threw away the pivoting magnifying class on my daylight brand lamp. too big and always in the way.

I'm 64 and haven't started using magnification yet but I have not yet started tying smaller than 14 since I don't fish trout. I did buy a few smaller hooks to mess around with. I may need some of those reading glasses.

The 'Golden Years' aren't!!!! :blink:

I have used a fluorescent ring lamp with a 3X magnifying lens in it for years. I typically do not use the magnifier on anything larger than #18. Thus, the lamp head stays up and out of the way, while providing adequate light from directly above my vise for my tying, when I am tying.

For most, the depth perception problem goes away with use. It is really no different than learning to use a scope on a rifle, or binoculars; once you get the hang of it, it becomes second nature to get proper depth of focus.

Magnifiers can be a great tool when tying small flies but please remember to cover them when not in use, more than one fire has occured from sun light through windows and magnifiers

i 100% agree with that answer. in my case, i actually threw away the pivoting magnifying class on my daylight brand lamp. too big and always in the way.

I typically find it very hard working under a magnifying lens whether soldering electronics or tying flies.

I use a magnifier and reading glasses when tying. I started with just reading glasses, then added the magnifier, now it seems I can't tie without the magnifier.

It does help alot in seeing what your doing. But it does get in the way sometimes. Mostly when winding hackles on wooly buggers and such larger flies.