Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Chase Creek

Fly Photo "Studio"

keep the 2 adjustable lamps but replace the incandescent bulbs with full spectrum bulbs

there is no need to make or even buy a "photo studio light box" for photographing flies (although it is your option)

a good background helps

Desktop29.jpg

the paper holder typist use can also be used. use different colors of paper as the background

juts my opinion

Here's a slight modification of the first setup - I cut out pieces of tracing paper and put them in the clear side of plastic CD cases for light diffusers. They are hinged, so they can be set anywhere, or even hung in front of a light. I also cut some different colors of foam and did the same thing for use as stand-alone backgrounds. I have one light above, one light to the right, and one light to the left and back to add a little back lighting.

I'm looking for a decent table tripod that will hold a DSLR without tipping over. You can see the head of my regular tripod at the edge of the desk.

On the hunt for daylight bulbs as we speak.

post-4211-0-00904600-1330627078_thumb.jpg

post-4211-0-40082700-1330627095_thumb.jpg

Paul , I am Sooooooo stealing that idea....that's like the styrofoam cup idea on steroids!!! :lol:

Murray

This is my setup for photographing flies for display, I'll use different cameras on the tripod and in front of the rubbermaid tub is reflector made from glueing foil to a foam core board. For photographing Step-by-Step, I just set up a background with a sheet of foam and use side lighting with sheet of white paper or foil beneath to reflect light up.

Kirk

DSC_0308-1.jpg