Fly Tying
scottross09

Grizzly Hackle

I am curious. I have had a hard time finding grizzly hackle neck pieces. I understand they are being used in hair with women. I have found some on ebay that look promising. I am wondering though, what the difference in the numbers are. for instance. A grizzly hackle neck piece #6 vs. #2? Does that correlate with fly size?

If the ones on ebay are the ones you're talking about, then I think it is more a lot # for the auction than grade of hackle. There are grades for hackle but I'm guessing that it isn't being used on the hackle here.

Blane

The hair thing is pretty much over. I recently read a blog from Tom Whiting, and he said that they are ramping up production to re-supply their distributors as soon as possible, but that it would probably be mid-year before they've satisfied all of the current demand. On a good note, I have seen some grizzly hackle in fly shops of late, but it has been only 1 or 2 small packages.

If the ones on ebay are the ones you're talking about, then I think it is more a lot # for the auction than grade of hackle. There are grades for hackle but I'm guessing that it isn't being used on the hackle here.

Blane

I think you are probably right with them being the lot number instead of a grade. I was talking about the ones on ebay. I am not an expert, but they look good enough to make a move on, especially considering I just bought a full neck piece of brown for 39 bucks.