Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
ThreeJsDad

Here are the Clues

Hey Folks, my son and I got our butts handed to us today by some wild browns. We were on a Tailwater in southern VA, the water was quite chilly but the sun was out and there were surface feeders. The air temp was in the low 60's.

There were midges in the air and flying just above the water. The rise forms were mostly gentle with no splash or bubble. We tried everything from Brassies to Griffith Gnats. I even tried a couple of different sized Olives even though I didn't see any on the water. I went all the way down to 8X and still could not get a fish to touch a fly. I know I had perfect drifts many cases and still nothing. If anyone has some suggestions we could sure use the help !!!

The two we did get were unrelated to this and took nymphs run deep.

I have not been this puzzled since I first started fishing the Delaware 20 years ago.

Thanks, Paul

Gentle rise forms like that especially at this time of year are more often than not a fish taking an emerging midge. Sometimes they can be super picky and only take one stage of fly, did you guys try any emergers of were you just trying dries and nymphs?

Steve

This may sound like HERESY, but I am not a strong believer in "matching the hatch"! Some swear by it, and others swear at it. My experience says that the hatch

may not represent what the fish are looking for. Sure, I'll try a few casts with a fly to imitate the hatch, but usually it gets refused. And I'll go back to try something else that I think will work.

I have my Nomex flight suit on in case of flames.

Steve, I need to tie some Midge emergers. My brother has shared with me a really nice recipe. He also suggested I try a tiny parachute Adams which was way off my radar since I am such a die hard Specific pattern type of guy (I don't even carry wolly Buggers or Streamers in my vest).

Hey Kentucky, I have no gripes with any fly guy as long he is flinging fur and feathers !!!!

Paul

In Kentucky's defense, I've read that when there is a prolific hatch that giving them something different that stands out as a different option can be successful.

Oh I did that as well and that's why I didn't give him any grief!!!LOL, LOL We tossed some large Olives at them as well as some larger nymphs with no serious success !!

I may have to work on a fly called TNT !!! I was having visions of the beginning of "The Mummy III".

Paul

I'm with Steeldrifter, I would bet they were eating emergers. Some days it just helps to have more pockets.

Yah, I have been thinking about that and how many more boxes I may need to start carrying !!!

I found some bead boxes with a separate lid for each compartment and they were quite large. They might just barely fit in my vest pockets.

On the emerger thing, I am heading out today to find this special kind of thread I need for the wing on an emerger pattern my brother suggested I try.

Paul

just a random thought but sew some velcro on your vest and then tape some velcro strips to your fly boxes ??? that way you dont have to use your pockets?? i dont know just a thought

Hey Folks, my son and I got our butts handed to us today by some wild browns. We were on a Tailwater in southern VA, the water was quite chilly but the sun was out and there were surface feeders. The air temp was in the low 60's.

There were midges in the air and flying just above the water. The rise forms were mostly gentle with no splash or bubble. We tried everything from Brassies to Griffith Gnats. I even tried a couple of different sized Olives even though I didn't see any on the water. I went all the way down to 8X and still could not get a fish to touch a fly. I know I had perfect drifts many cases and still nothing. If anyone has some suggestions we could sure use the help !!!

The two we did get were unrelated to this and took nymphs run deep.

I have not been this puzzled since I first started fishing the Delaware 20 years ago.

Thanks, Paul

Find out EXACTLY what is in the drift:

http://books.google.com/books?id=YanBEVAOjuYC&pg=PA50&lpg=PA50&dq=kick+screen+net+Rick+Hafele&source=bl&ots=vmeuOp16pZ&sig=UHnAOG93q2K98YsDtx8t05W5P_4&hl=en&sa=X&ei=ZZRHT7eCPbCMigLHlKjaDQ&sqi=2&ved=0CB4Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

PT/TB ;)

Everyone-

No offense was taken by anyone's comments. Actually, I though you guys were very supportive, and have had similar experiences. Having fished a lot of the tailwaters in the Eastern US for trout, I've settled on trying what I think will work.

I think "firedad" may have hit it on the head, in that something different than the "hatch" may stand out and catch their attention and they strike. A prolific hatch may give the trout too many choices, or they get bored with the day's entree'.

If anyone has some suggestions we could sure use the help !!!

Size 6-10 white streamer :)

That would be tough to cast with our 1 and 2wt rods we prefer to fish..... B)

I do normally carry a seine. I am getting geared back up after a little break and trying to remember all the behaviors that brought be success on the stream in the past. Things like carrying a thermometer, seine, notebook, monocular, and other goodies to help collect info.

Paul

I have a couple size 12 bunny leeches* i carry for use with my 3 wt, just in case.

* tied with squirrel zonker strips (so maybe they are squirrel leeches) lead wrapped, no beads

I am not a hardcore etymologist, but I would like to get a seine one of these days.

If anyone has some suggestions we could sure use the help !!!

Size 6-10 white streamer :)

That would be tough to cast with our 1 and 2wt rods we prefer to fish..... B)

I do normally carry a seine. I am getting geared back up after a little break and trying to remember all the behaviors that brought be success on the stream in the past. Things like carrying a thermometer, seine, notebook, monocular, and other goodies to help collect info.

Paul

Crotalus nailed it AGAIN...

I'm sure this is going to appear offensive but it's not-- if you want to handicap yourself with only a 1 - 2 weight outfit and not be able to fish whatever it may take to catch fish then you can't realistically ask "What should we have done different?" I quite often cast small Clouser Deep Minnows on my 3 weight, so casting a #10 or #8 unweighted streamer on a 2 weight wouldn't be that much of an issue.

On the hallowed holy water around Allenberry on the Yellow Breeches I've seen it a number of times- people killing themselves trying to match some microscopic and POSSIBLY NONEXISTENT special life stage of an obscure midge pattern and they can't buy a fish, then some kid shows up with a #4 crayfish pattern and takes them all to school. I've seen guys actually pack their gear and leave when that happens.

If there is feeding activity and I can't figure it out in a reasonable amount of time, I'll put on a wet fly or a woolly worm or something and usually catch a fish. I'm much easier to please than most folks though I guess. I totally understand people wanting to catch trout a certain way- but when that certain way doesn't work, you have to be satisfied with it or change your methods.