Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Sockeye guy

Head cement question

I was planning on tying up some salmon flies this weekend but my cement is no where to be found. I dont have any place within 50 miles that sells head cement so i was wondering how nail polish like "hard as nails" would work. Any thoughts?

Hundreds (if not thousands,) of tiers use Sally Hansens Hard As Nails. I use it as well as several other CHEAP brands. It works just fine.

IMHO, Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails is better than most fly tying head cements for glossy heads on larger flies. Use several coats.

I saw your post about this on another site & responded with my input. Go with the Sally Hansen's, it's great for this purpose! :D

As A.K. Best suggests, I use Lacquer; to be specific, "DEFT" Clear Gloss Woodfinish. It is a lacquer that I also use on my woodwork. I have used it for a couple of decades, and see no reason to switch to anything else.

How long does it take to dry ? I have just tried Wapsi head cement which dries white, in fact they sent me a new bottle it also dries white, one thing good is the squeeze bottle with needle tip, now if I just had something to put in it.Any help for me ??? Thanks my friend, milo

How long does it take to dry ? I have just tried Wapsi head cement which dries white, in fact they sent me a new bottle it also dries white, one thing good is the squeeze bottle with needle tip, now if I just had something to put in it.Any help for me ??? Thanks my friend, milo

Milo

Sally Hansens can take a little while to dry if your fly has a large head and you want a really nice finish - touch dry in 10mins or so depending on how thick a coating you put on...

If you dilute it with Acetone (NEVER use nail varnish remover or thinners - SH goes cloudy) it will dry much quicker.

When I am trying streamer patterns I put several coats of really thin SH which soaks in and then a single coat of 50% diluted and when that is fully dry, a coat of undiluted SH which gives a nice smooth coat:)

On my usual "fishing" patterns, I rarely varnish the head - just one or two 4-turn whip finishes is usually sufficient:)

Darrell

Milo

Sally Hansens can take a little while to dry if your fly has a large head and you want a really nice finish - touch dry in 10mins or so depending on how thick a coating you put on...

If you dilute it with Acetone (NEVER use nail varnish remover or thinners - SH goes cloudy) it will dry much quicker.

When I am trying streamer patterns I put several coats of really thin SH which soaks in and then a single coat of 50% diluted and when that is fully dry, a coat of undiluted SH which gives a nice smooth coat:)

On my usual "fishing" patterns, I rarely varnish the head - just one or two 4-turn whip finishes is usually sufficient:)

Darrell

Thanks Darrell,are you saying you can thin with acetone, not sure if I do that, but just a thought ! milo

If you are asking about drying time for the lacquer, it depends upon how thick it is, but typically less that 15 minutes for 'dry-to-touch'. It is thinned with regular Lacquer Thinner.

If you are asking about drying time for the lacquer, it depends upon how thick it is, but typically less that 15 minutes for 'dry-to-touch'. It is thinned with regular Lacquer Thinner.

Thanks, I got Sally yesterday, it does great, some later on I'm going to try lacquer. many thanks, milo

Believe it or not I use Gorilla Super Glue. It dries fast (it is super glue after all), penetrates the thread very well, and leaves a shiny head. A bottle (.71 oz.) lasts forever and it is relatively inexpensive. I apply mine with a guitar string (high e) inserted into a 1/8 inch brass tube and glued into a lure to prevent rolling and/or loss...

GlueandApplictor001.jpg

Murray