Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Matt B

Hydropsychidae larva

Hey gang, I'm posting a pic of a pattern I stole from the steel head fellas. Last winter I was in my local extremely cheesy box sporting goods store, who's fly tying section looks like the arts and crafts cabinet in my daughters bedroom, but as I was walking around I was drawn to a huge box of steely patterns and picked out a huge something or other, I tweaked it made it smaller, and added some stuff. I'm trying to post using photo bucket so lets see how it goes. The pic isn't the best, but I'm sure you guys will get the drift...... so to speak. I have great luck with this pattern on my home waters of the Catskills up till end of June. I normally fish it across and down with sink tip line, let it drift in the current then shake the rod tip on the retrieve, short strips, leaving that bad boy dangle in the current periodically. It is supposed to be a common net spinner. The Browns and Brookies go nutz.

Size 10 thru 16 curved caddis hook

Body - prizm chartreuse ice dub

Rib - clear stretch tube over the dubbed body

Head - Black pearl chenille medium 1 or 2 turns

Thread - I use chartreuse for the body than whip finish and tye on black to do the head

Hydropsychidaelarvaakacommonnetspinner.jpg

Cheers guys, not long now and we'll all be on the water all the time....... can I get an AMEN!!!!!

Lots of flash on that fly, I bet it works great.

Have you been fishing much this winter? I live not far from the Catskills and what a warm winter it has been! I can't wait to get down your way to hit the Beaverkill in the spring.

I haven't wet a line in trout water since the end of last season. I took a largemouth on this very same fly pattern last week. My home water is the Neversink. You can find me in season, humpin way into the Neversink gorge. I love it in there. Fishing can be difficult, but very rewarding do to all the browns, bows, and brookies in the gorge being wild. I can testify, you can tell the difference by the coloration. I'll normally fish the closer put and take rivers in early April, but It's hard to stay away from the Sink. Especially since it's only 20 min from my house.......ohhh poor me. I just fawn over the fact it was the home waters of Gordon, LeBranch, Hewitt, and of course Sparse Grey Hackle aka Alfred Miller. Unfortunately most of the water those gentlemen fished are all gone, and 50 to 60 feet below the Neversink Reservoir. Nothing like taking the best land and water around here for that hell hole of a city 60 miles to the south. The history I've read talks about the small country towns like Neversink Village, and Bradley being leveled and flooded. I truly wish I could have seen the river unmolested by man. That's part of the reason I stay in the gorge. The hike in can be treacherous, the fishing difficult and technical, but there are no roads, no cars, no cell service, and as I recall over 4,000 acres of protected state land. I've found it also keeps the meat fisherman away, do to catch and release only laws in the gorge. If you come as far down as The Beaverkill, you might want to plan on staying in the car a little longer and stopping by the fabled Neversink. Cheers,

I haven't wet a line in trout water since the end of last season. I took a largemouth on this very same fly pattern last week. My home water is the Neversink. You can find me in season, humpin way into the Neversink gorge. I love it in there. Fishing can be difficult, but very rewarding do to all the browns, bows, and brookies in the gorge being wild. I can testify, you can tell the difference by the coloration. I'll normally fish the closer put and take rivers in early April, but It's hard to stay away from the Sink. Especially since it's only 20 min from my house.......ohhh poor me. I just fawn over the fact it was the home waters of Gordon, LeBranch, Hewitt, and of course Sparse Grey Hackle aka Alfred Miller. Unfortunately most of the water those gentlemen fished are all gone, and 50 to 60 feet below the Neversink Reservoir. Nothing like taking the best land and water around here for that hell hole of a city 60 miles to the south. The history I've read talks about the small country towns like Neversink Village, and Bradley being leveled and flooded. I truly wish I could have seen the river unmolested by man. That's part of the reason I stay in the gorge. The hike in can be treacherous, the fishing difficult and technical, but there are no roads, no cars, no cell service, and as I recall over 4,000 acres of protected state land. I've found it also keeps the meat fisherman away, do to catch and release only laws in the gorge. If you come as far down as The Beaverkill, you might want to plan on staying in the car a little longer and stopping by the fabled Neversink. Cheers,

Tempting, very tempting. I don't shy away from difficult-to-access areas since I started fishing the upper reaches of the West Canada Creek and it's tribs many years ago. Certainly not "dangerous" terrain, but quiet and far enough away from others. The Neversink Gorge sounds like an inviting challenge. Thanks for the information.