Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Joe Ditmer

First flys

Nice start Joe, make sure you save a copy or two of each as a comparison to look at 5-10 years down the road. That way you will see how you have grown and improved as a tier

A ton better than my first. I tied a few and they fell apart after two fish which was a bummer they had pretty good apeal. Keep it up, you will only improve with more practice, and don't forget we all started somewhere

A ton better than my first. I tied a few and they fell apart after two fish which was a bummer they had pretty good apeal. Keep it up, you will only improve with more practice, and don't forget we all started somewhere

Okay I am going to be real with you...I am glad you are starting to tie flies....people are going to applaud and tell you great which is supportive as heck BUT you also need to know how to improve. Get some good books, research some online tying sites and notice how tiers hide thread wraps etc. Find a mentor and have him or her teach you some basic techniques. We have a fly tying club at our middle school and our thirteen and fourteen year old students are making some great strides in tying technique. Keep at it and you WILL improve...seek help and do not let yourself settle on "good enough" or "yeah that will catch fish" even if they are or will.....ALWAYS try to better yourself.

Yeah, I agree. Get yourself a pattern book. "Best of 1000" is a good one, "Trout Flies" is a great one with instructions. You have the desire, now you need to develop your skills.

Yeah, I agree. Get yourself a pattern book. "Best of 1000" is a good one, "Trout Flies" is a great one with instructions. You have the desire, now you need to develop your skills.

Charlie Cravens books are awesome and start you from basic techniques and progress through to more complicated ties...I highly recommend these.

I have also gotten a lot of use out of Randall Kaufmanns books....they follow a similar progression. Start with nymphs if you want my opinion...90% of a trouts food is subsurface.

Okay I am going to be real with you...I am glad you are starting to tie flies....people are going to applaud and tell you great which is supportive as heck BUT you also need to know how to improve. Get some good books, research some online tying sites and notice how tiers hide thread wraps etc. Find a mentor and have him or her teach you some basic techniques. We have a fly tying club at our middle school and our thirteen and fourteen year old students are making some great strides in tying technique. Keep at it and you WILL improve...seek help and do not let yourself settle on "good enough" or "yeah that will catch fish" even if they are or will.....ALWAYS try to better yourself.

Agreed with this! I started tying when I was 13.. now it's a year and I am selling my flies and making a profit! I started taking classes at a local Bass Pro, bought some books, and just practiced. Don't stress yourself when you tie. If you get frustrated, just walk away or take it a step at a time. I hope to see more of your patterns!

Nolan

Books are good but Internet is cheaper

If you want a book my recommendation is The Benchside Introduction to Fly Tying by Ted Leeson and Jim Schollmeyer.

If you want Internet, try going to flyanglersonline.com then Fly Tying from the menu then Beginner from the next menu.

What you have done is a good start. Part of the issue you have is TOO MUCH MATERIAL. For most of what you're doing, use 1/2 as much material.