Fly Tying
flytyinfreak

Turkey beard?

have never seen nor heard of it being used in a fly... you will be breaking new fly-tying ground. Let us know how it works.

Never heard of any flies tied with turkey beard. Its a very coarse, thick, wirey, hair.

Yah, I was a turkey hunter before I started tying flies, and have an abundance of tail feathers, somehow lost 2 of my prized beards, so I can't even play with em. I'm going to try ans soake them and use them for "quill bodies, and probably tails for dries. Heck I don't know , I was just hopin someone would throw out some creative Ideas.

I received some of this from a friend along with some long strands of horse main. I found it bleached quite pale when left in a hot sunny windowsill and wound over a thread underbody well enough. It provides a different texture to the PTN and I have some horse hair and turkey beard nymphs tied up. They make a good rib too as they seem to let a bit of light through. I can't say its a wonder material but if its free I'll use it. The items that appear in envelopes at work for me would make the infection control team have a group coronary. :D

Colin