Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bugaboo

nymph vs dry flies

I'm just starting out and I would like to hear from the experienced fly fishermen or fly fisherwomen? Is it harder to learn nymph fishing or dry fly fishing? I think the overall satisfaction is to fool the fish in there own enviroment. What do you think?

I'm just starting out and I would like to hear from the experienced fly fishermen or fly fisherwomen? Is it harder to learn nymph fishing or dry fly fishing? I think the overall satisfaction is to fool the fish in there own enviroment. What do you think?

I don't think it's harder to become proficient at one over the other, and both have their place. Dry fly fishing is a lot of fun, but if you never nymphed you would miss out on a lot of good fishing when there is no surface activity. Practice both. You will never be done learning, and that is where I think the overall satisfaction is found.

IMHO nymph fishing is much harder than dry fly fishing. First of all, it is not easy to know what insects are active below the surface- so you don't know what pattern to use. Second, you have to decide how deep to drift your nymph. And third, it can be very difficult to tell when a fish has taken your nymph- and quickly spit it out. But fish take most of their food subsurface, so nymphs should be more productive than dries.

Fish look down more then they look up. Nymphs are about 85% of the trouts diet.When I fish nymphs or dries I cast up and across as close to the cover as I can get. Remember, if you are not loosing you are not using. :) :)

When I first started fly fishing I used only dry flies, but with great success. Then the season changed and I realized quickly that the weather/temps. had the most influence on fish activity. I am just now getting the hang of nymph fishing. While nymphs may get more fish throughout the year, I still found dry fly fishing easier.

I just started flyfishing last year, myself, after a forty-year run of spin-fishing. I got into dries--I LOVE seeing a surface take--but soon found that watching an indicator holds nearly as much suspense. If you concentrate only on the top, you miss out on most of the action.

As a previous poster wrote, learn to fish the whole of the column and you will be rewarded with options for every season.