Fly Tying
Chorizo

Is it really worth it?

I think the question can be applied to just about anything that we buy. Do I need the Nike VR Pro Cavity golf clubs or can I get by with the Slingshot mixed set for less money and what will spending more money do for my game? I've always been in the school of thought that say's "Spend what you can afford." There are advantages to high end rods but the truth is, most guys don't appreciate those advantages. One that comes to mind is the overall wieght and if your fishing for 3 to 6 days in a row, that can come into play. If you only fish a couple of dozen times a year, an ounce will not make a huge difference.

Sage makes some of the best rods but not necessarily "The Best". That said, it would be hard to argue that they are not the leader in the industry. They also make a wide range of price points ($225.00 to $800.00)so you do not have to break the bank. The Sage Vantage @ $225.00 for a 9ft 5wt 2 pc is better than most rods in that price range if you want to buy new.

For s--t's and giggles, read this. It may help you on the road to being a better fly fisher and making more sound fly fishing investments.

http://www.thehomepool.ca/content/articles/practice_makes_perfect.pdf

I think it is very much a YMMV quastion. (Also depnds on on your DOB. I am pushing 70 and as a card carrying old guy, I much prefer fly rods with slow actions down into the corks. SAGE does not qualify. )

My one SAGE rod bought years ago at a then exorbitant price was so stiff and fast tipped, I never got into it even though the initial investment nagged me into using it longer than I should have.

I see no reason in the world why fly rods made of a few ounces of this year's super synthetics, steel, and cork in a few hours --overseas yet -- cost as much as a fine rifle that you can hunt dangerous game with.

Now bamboo rods are another and very desirable thing, but still priced way out of my league.

I have made rods myself as an amateur and by and large found Loomis moderate actions come closest to what I enjoy a lot. I use them w/o fear of loss or damage, and they meet all my simple requirements for ruggedeness, handiness in contolling big fish, and responsivenesss in casting -- if not the needs of a world-class competetion caster.

Custom rods from skilled makers made to meet my quirks are quite simply one hell of a buy and are much better than I can produce myself.

Rocco

Steve has recommended two blanks for me and i couldnt be happier with them. he knows his stuff.

I can afford to have him repair either rod many times over before I would get to the cost of a Sage rod with its unlimited warranty.

My opinion is the same when it comes to any rod from the <$50 walmart rods to the $1000 + rods - if you cast it, like it and can afford it then buy it.

Quick question for steeldrifter, just kinda thinking about my next purchase...Have you done any builds on the newer nanoresin blanks such as nrx, sintrex, sage one? Just curious as i really love the way this new material loads, before the rod would feel different at 30, 60, 90 ft, like at 90ft it would be really loading deeper down into the blank, find with these new rods the sweet spot stays very similar throughout the range of the rod, wheres the older graphite would have a very noodly 'sweet spot'.

Another big difference is swing weight, blanks being such a smaller diameter makes them a lot easier to fling for weeks on end. I'd actually say the best rods i have cast ever have been those 3 i just mentioned, and by an lot.

I have used all these other rods before, TFO's i have seen explode, and i don't own one but a friend was saying they build that blank very 'skinny' to cut down on weight, anyway i have seen a few break including a BVK the guy sent back last Sept and still has not gotten it back...

Anyway i think i am considering a custom build from someone who offers a decent warranty to decent people, i mean these things are made to fish with.

Why do some rods for me always break at the ferrules? And while casting.

*edit* Have cast a friends couple of Batson custom builds and i thought they were average imho, nothing special and not the greatest line feel or speed. Handed him an Orvis Hydros in the same weight with a SA GPX on it and he nearly wept as he cast the entire line out with no issues.

Common cents system for anyone that is interested, not sure i subscribe to this but a lot of builders do.

http://www.common-cents.info/

FF'Jam out of the three you mentioned am am familiar with the Sage one. It actually is a bit more of a moderate rod than the previous models they had. Sage replaced the Z-Axis with the "One" but the action between those two is a bit different so I think they should have not actually said they were "replacing" the Z-Axis with the "one" but just said they dropped the Z-Axis and introduced the "one". But with that said, yes it's a good casting rod. A bit more moderate than most of their line up but still have plenty of power throughout the butt & mid section and still keep a crisp tip without having any dead spots in the action.

My personal opinion is the XP was the best rod they made. I really liked that blank a lot.

TFO- the problems with TFO's was fixed a few years back. They use to have a few line weights/models that had issues with the ferules breaking during casting at no fault of the caster. But about 4 years ago they revamped those rods and now have an extra layer of graphite wrapped into the blank at the ferules and it seems to have eliminated the problem.

Steve

I have an 8wt zed and i used to have an 8wt 'one', found the one to be a lot nicer to cast, yes still moderate action but with loads of reserve power and a very defined sweet spot which would really sing, i think the swing weight of a lighter blank really made a difference but they are going to have to do something about this...I agree tho completely different rods. In no way does a one replace a zed.

P1181113.jpg

That just happened on a perfect back cast with 80ft of line in the air, i thought the pieces had just come apart, but no, the thing snapped in two.

Anyway everyone seems to find the right combination of line and rod which works for them, i suggest to anyone as someone else mentioned to go out and cast as many as you can, but also remember a better or 'more expensive' rod will not improve your casting, what will is practice and going to see someone about lessons. We have all seen that video on youtube of the guy casting with no rod at all.

I would defer to the rod builders, but I think everybody has multiple casting styles. Depends on what you are throwing, how far, how hard the wind is blowing, etc.

back in the early 90's I had a Sage 4 piece 4 wt. Hated it. Would have been a great 6 wt rod, but I didnt want a 6wt.

One of my favorites was the 8'6" 4 wt Sage LL for lazy days and the XP was definitley a winner.

My all around favorite rod is an old T&T HS 9' 6wt.

For Bass, Phil Castleman used to sell a 3 piece 9'6" 8 wt (use a 9wt line) that is a winner. Great rod for $120.

Love the Orvis far and fine series for a short rod.

For me it depends on what you want. If you want a good all around rod you need to cast several different types to see what you prefer. Fast, med-fast, medium, slow.

Or you could be looking for a specific style or species = Bass, steelhead, saltwater, bass.

I have to contact Steve. I have been jonesing for one of the 5 piece winston's every since casting one the first year they came out. Just can't get myself to pull the trigger with that high $$ price tag.

Enjoy your search!

Del

I really appreciate all the advice, thanks to all that posted. Maybe the rod builders can. Home in. I'm looking to build a 7-9wt with a medium to fast action for throwing 50-70' of wf floating line. This rod will be used primarily for sight casting to redfish. I live on the lower coast of Texas, and we do have a wind problem here. My problem is, I've wrapped rods from most of the popular rod manufacturers and felt I spent far to much for the blank. Im looking at rain shadow but don't know much about the blanks. Anyone with any suggestions feel free, I'm open ears.

Chorizo Batson Rainshadow is a very nice series of blanks, I've built literally hundreds of them, great line of blanks. The "standard" Rainshadow is the RX7 series. They are a mod/fast action blank and a very good choice for most anyone that likes a somewhat fast rod yet still one that has enough flex to it to be able to feel it load easily. Because of the fact that you said it would be for saltwater use and in Texas (Wind)...plus your going to use it for sight fishing reds, then because of the intended use this would be my advice. Go with the newer series of Rainshadow blanks which is the RX8 series, and get the 8wt RX8.

The RX8 series is a faster action rod than the RX7 with a pretty quick tip recovery. So because of that you will be able to pick up and shoot a lot of line with minimal false casting which will help to get your fly on target without spooking the reds once you get them in sight. And because the RX8 series is a faster series, I'd go with the 8wt rather than the 9wt because the 9wt may be a bit "too fast" for anything in the 30-50ft distance range.

Hope that helps some.

Steve