Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
FlyFishin'Jam

Mike's Smallmouth Sugar Crayfish

Just a tiny little crayfish fly i am doing up, i guess if you cut the claws out you would have a decent shrimp too. I have not scuffed out the legs yet on either side.

P3081265.jpg

Gamakatsu SS15 #6

Uni Thread 6/0 Black

Australian Possum Fur Claret

Krystal Flash UV Tan

Muz Wilson BMS Blend Olive Brown

Mono Eyes

Tungsten Hourglass Eye Brass Extra Small

Fine Chenille Tan (Brown is better but i had none), or EP Crab Claw

Red Marker

Lighter & Bodkin or Cauterizer

Velcro (hooked end for scuffing out dubbing)

Underside View

P3081273.jpg

And a bunch of them to throw around rocks...

P3081277.jpg

Thanks guys! I been doing some testing of this fly lately and i am sad to say these early models in a current or fast retrieve will spin so i had to remove the tag (tail) that goes beyond the hook eye and keel the fly with additional leadfree wire to combat the effects of the chenille claws. I am still testing it but it works quite nicely if i just cut the claws off B)

If you don't mind me asking....How do you make the claws?

Thanks guys! I been doing some testing of this fly lately and i am sad to say these early models in a current or fast retrieve will spin so i had to remove the tag (tail) that goes beyond the hook eye and keel the fly with additional leadfree wire to combat the effects of the chenille claws. I am still testing it but it works quite nicely if i just cut the claws off B)

It's all about trial and error. but still an awesome looking fly

Nice! I would prefer a lighter brown or dark tan to match the hatch around here.

Hello ditz2! The claws are knotted micro chenille (2 strands or 1 folded in two), for the pincers use a cauterizer or lighter and the chenille will melt down nicely just like how a san juan worm does, then get out your marker and colour them. OR you can already buy pre-made crustacean claws at EP flies, i also heat a bodkin to 'bend' or shape the claws.

Thanks for the comments everyone! Phish, i think i am going to try with various colours for sure and i think i may just take them for another swim in an hour or so.

Kirk - the craws sit very nicely in the water, they do look edible, at least the bass enjoy them even without their claws. I'd probably colour those brass eyes neutral or omit them as they seem to give off a bit much flash in the water when i really want the craw to blend in to the environment a little bit more. A short weed guard would also be beneficial.

Think i am going to try a section of knotted EP fiber instead and keep it short.

I will get this right before the season is done!

FlyFishn'Jam....thanks for the reply. These would work well for crab claws too. Just as a thought, I have been using Squirrel Zonkers for the claws and they seem to work well also. Of all the things I have tried they seem to be the best and are easy to do.