Fly Tying
dreamcaster4639

Accessories??

I am trying to get my vest and bag ready for fly fishing and I am having a tough time trying to decide what I need to have in my vest on me and what to leave on shore in a bag. I am wondering what do you guys take along and what is absolutely important that I may over look. Any advice is appreciated doesn't matter how simple the detail may be. I want to be a some what decent fly fisher and I want to be prepared with tools, tricks and info. Thanks in advance.

Rod, reel, line, leader and spare leader. 3 fly boxes BG, Bass, Carp. spart tippet material. Stainless needle nose pliers. Clippers for cutting line, Cell phone and polarized sunglasses. 1 bottle of water and some peanut butter crackers and a few smarties for my sugar if it gets low. That's about it. I wade wet all summer too since it is so hot here.

Don't forget the camera, if there is no photo it didn't happen. That's the rule with my crew, if you don't have accompanying proof you can't tell the story. Not that we would ever embellish numbers, size or flies. We are anglers for crying out loud, recognized worldwide for "stretching" the truth. Friends can be coerced to fib, wives know we can't accurately measure inches...yeah, don't forget the camera and a mini tripod when out by yourself.

one extra leader, I never need it on the water but I bring it anyhow. Couple of tippet spools, nippers, a few fly boxes including one with weird flies because you just never know, a small packet of split shot, camera, and unfortunately yes a cel phone. I also take my little thermometer because I just like to know what temp the water is. If I'm actually GOING somewhere I take a couple granola bars and a bottle of water. K.I.S.S.

Obviously that is minimum for fishing a couple hours close to civilization. What I take must change based upon a real-world look at what might be encountered.

Pretty similar to JSz. Depends on where you are fishing. I fish small streams in a State Forest, and usually don't see anyone else. I normally fish alone also. So I take a compass (and the knowledge to use it), small first aid kit, a water filter so I can fill up the water bottle anytime. Also a whistle. I include a small snack with a bit extra, some matches, a homemade alcohol stove and 2 oz of alcohol fuel (for a cup of tea at lunch)and a small metal cup. This all fits into a fanny pack. Haven't used a vest in a long time. I'll also take a light rain jacket if I expect to get rained on.

I don't carry a cell phone, just cuz the coverage where I fish is VERY spotty. I do take it in the truck for obvious reasons (it's a long drive). I forgot to take the cell phone out of my jacket one day, and was walking back along a 2-track to my truck when it rang. It was my wife back in Ohio, and we chatted for a minute, then a black bear ran across the road about 20 feet in front of me. I yelled "Bear!" - and the call dropped. Had to drive 15 miles to get coverage again and call her back.

She was not happy. :angry:

Interesting thread, I'd be interested to see what others have to say.

keep it light. If your vest has 10 pockets you don't have to fill them.

Yes you do need to fill them. Fill all the pockets till you cant close em! Add a fanny pack and fill it too. For good measure add one of these....

hobo-stick-bindle.jpg

Its kinda high tech, but you will figure it out. :lol:

Now get out there and catch a fish!

I always carry flies, tippet, something to cut the tippet, something to sink the tippet/fly, something to float the tippet/fly, something to remove hooks and something to drink.

Almost always carry a camera, net and something to eat.

Occasionally carry a wading staff and rain coat.

Regular Day Trip:

Fly box

nail clippers

Hemostats

Tippet 3x-7x

Extra leader or two

Gink

Split shots

Sunglasses

indicators

Lighter

Knife

H20

Sandwich with extra cheese

ok I take all the norms but one thing that always goes with me and should be in everyones vest a pair of needle nose pliers but be sure they have the wire cutter on them these are used in case you happen to impale yourself use the pliers to push the hook point back out through the skin past the barb then use the wire cutter to cut the barb off and then pull the hook back out the way it went in this not only can save a days fishng but can save a trip to the ER or even a life

What do you use for a seine OldTrout? I am thinking of getting into some entomology just because I want to know what is really down there.

About 5 years ago, I bought a seine on the web which attached to the "Y" of a landing net. Came with velcro straps and a very small bag to hold. You stretched it over your net and the stretch cord held it to the net. Sorry I can't remember who made it or where I bought it, could have been Cabela's or LL Bean.

Last Thanksgiving, I floated a river with a Frenchman. Only advice I can offer is - Make sure that your canoeing partner knows that when you start yelling "LEFT! LEFT! GO LEFT!" like a madman that he knows you want him to direct the boat LEFT and NOT row on the Left side."

Other than than, I love the red bandanna backpack shown above.