Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Chorizo

7 or 8 wt

I have wrapped and fished 8-10 wt rods for a long time now. I have never fished a 7wt rod. I am building a new rod, and with the help of steel drifter am pretty sure what blank I intend to use. The Only internal dispute I have is 7or8wt? I am a saltwater guy and have yet to run into anybody that fishes 7wt. Any opinions?

I fish a ten-foot 7wt here in the Northeast, mainly in the rivers and bays for striped bass. Under reasonably calm conditions, I also use it in the surf, though my 9wt and 12wt see a lot more action there. A lot depends on your local conditions and the size of the flies you'll be throwing. A friend of mine successfully uses an 8wt for false albacore from shore, though I consider it a bit light for that purpose, especially late in the season. Another friend uses a 7wt and even a 6wt for albies, and he does fine, though he's been known to break an occasional rod. (both these guys are expert casters) When you come right down to it there isn't a lot of difference between an eight and a seven. It's pretty much a matter of personal preference and what you're comfortable with. I think the length of the rod has more bearing on the matter than one step up or down in the weight department.

I use a 7wt and a 9wt for redfish and dont have a problem with the 7. I mainly use it on the flats when looking for tailers because i normally use small crab flies. But if its windy i bring out the 9wt or when throwing a bigger fly.

Althought there isn't much difference between a 7 or 8wt rod there is a difference between a freshwater and saltwater blank.They do not perform the same or have the same characteristics, although they will work in either application. I do suggest that you talk to Steve about this to get the lowdown on the blanks.