Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
notenuftoys

March 2012: Flies from the Vise

I tied a diawl bach, but instead of using red tinsel/wire for the rib and cheeks, I used pearl flashabou, it catches the light great but didn't show up in the photo

545016_3589967676743_1499892280_3105102_1949478049_n.jpg

Very inspirational stuff this month! Here is me trying to imitate lykos and wavey.

post-28940-0-12476000-1333137760_thumb.jpg

I've only been tying since February this year, so this put a big old smile on my face :D

I am gonna jump in one last time for March!

Just doing some little crazy charlie flies, the body is 8ply flat braid, coated with thick clear cure goo and two coats of sally hansen, they should almost be bullet proof. Tested them on pufferfish, and they stood up well but i am having one issue with brass bead chain eyes, Rust in the salt! Any tips?

Okay so i will use these in the fresh now, or even coastal, but for Canada - Pink Salmon.

P3311453.jpg

Some Pink & Pearl - used midge krystal flash for tails.

P3311463.jpg

I'd chuck these on the flats for bonefish too.

P3311467.jpg

Just a couple more mini shrimps...

P3311471.jpg

P3311469.jpg

Now i know you are all going Jam'...damn, no more EP minnows! Oh well mine keep going 'missing' - i think friends lift them from my boxes so i need a replenish.

P3311478.jpg

P3311480.jpg

P3311484.jpg

could you clear coat the chain, too? Maybe with some clear cure goo, just a think coat?

Cheers Wavey, pretty good idea there, only thing is with the models i tested i had put the goo over the eyes but always i seem to get rust developing inside the fly, under the materials, it always seems to find a way to get in!

Anyway looking forward to more flies from the vice from everyone this month B)

Super flies FFJ, Really like those and they should be productive ANYWHERE! I woulda said the same as Wavey, but since you have already tried that, all I can say is when you DO figure it out...let us ALL in on the secret! :lol:

Murray

Thanks lykos33, i am a confused fly angler who seems to flip flop around the world between salt and fresh so perhaps favour dual use patterns a bit too much.

Love what you have been tying in particular there is a hot pink looking streamer you posted earlier which is just awesome!

Anyway someone should launch the April Flies thread soon, i recommend everyone else to join in and show us what has been flying off your bench lately. It's going to be heating up as seasons slowly open, so perhaps everyone can test out their patterns and refine them and give us all an education on what is working.

Maybe the mods can sweeten the pot again with some prizes? who knows!