Fly Tying

You know, Mom may have had a still? She sure drank enough and it woud have been cheaper. I made a small still as a teen. Had no idea what I was doing and the stuff tasted like crap. Five pound can with a copper tube soldered in the side. The lid, which was a problem keeping on I realized later worked as our relief valve and probably is why I have all my fingers today. We would pack the copper coil in snow to speed up the process. Cook the mash righ on our boy scout stove.

We would make a couple ounces at a time and thought we were hot shit.

Thanks for the good come back on the still:). Made my day.

The Don

A Lanksy or similar type knife sharpener work very well...allows you to accurately control the blade angle and whet stone via one of three pivot points.

PANAMA RED - used to be my CB handle 40 years ago. Wonder if anyone knows what it is anymore?

No one has ever commented on the USS Indianapolis either as my Avatar. "At sea for ever"

The Don

You know, Mom may have had a still? She sure drank enough and it woud have been cheaper. I made a small still as a teen. Had no idea what I was doing and the stuff tasted like crap. Five pound can with a copper tube soldered in the side. The lid, which was a problem keeping on I realized later worked as our relief valve and probably is why I have all my fingers today. We would pack the copper coil in snow to speed up the process. Cook the mash righ on our boy scout stove.

We would make a couple ounces at a time and thought we were hot shit.

Thanks for the good come back on the still:). Made my day.

The Don

Fantastic memory...brought back my own memories of cooking down various "liquids" on my boy scout stove. And of soldering. I think I used every one of my father's resistors soldering up a "Christmas Tree" one year. Back when kids (10 years old) were allowed to use hot soldering irons with no supervision. :)

(edited because I left out a word or two)

I like sharpening with wet/dry auto sand paper on a plate of glass to keep the surface flat. Keeping the bevel is the most important. lightly moisten the paper with water. Fine scissors use 600 to 1000 grade paper.

PANAMA RED - used to be my CB handle 40 years ago. Wonder if anyone knows what it is anymore?

No one has ever commented on the USS Indianapolis either as my Avatar. "At sea for ever"

The Don

I grew up in the 70's, god I remember CB radios...My dad was Mr. wizard and Panama Red took on a whole different meaning for us back then ;)

The Indianapolis suffered a tragic end....It delivered the means to an end of a amazingly brutal war in the south pacific, only to become a casualty of the same war in the final days. As time goes on we there are fewer and fewer WW II combat veterans left, having retired from the military myself, I was very fortunate to listen to old army air corps pilots tell stories for hours at many rod and gun clubs, looking back it was an honor to have known them. I also had the good fortune to be raised early in my career by crusty old brown shoe vietnam veterans, best fire chiefs I ever worked for...Most were air crew on the HH-43 fire / rescue choppers, dude they they had some stories...