Fly Tying
huibgeselschap

What is the best bobbin out there?

hi all, I've been using an old india bobbin for over 10 years, but now that im starting to tie more, im looking into a better bobbin, esspecially one with tension control. I've seen the one from stonfo and marc petitjean, but are they really better?

looking forward in hearing from you what you think is the best bobbin for you

regards

huib

The bobbins with the ceramic tubes work for me. No, I don't think the Petijean bobbins are worth the cost. I think all the Petijean products are over-priced, wildly so.

The ones with the ceramic inserts (not ceramic tubes) are good, but harder to load without a bobbin threader.

hi all, I've been using an old india bobbin for over 10 years, but now that im starting to tie more, im looking into a better bobbin, esspecially one with tension control. I've seen the one from stonfo and marc petitjean, but are they really better?

looking forward in hearing from you what you think is the best bobbin for you

regards

huib

I like Rite-Bobbins, I also really like Griffin bobbins. You might want to check out the Tiemco bobbin too. I usually use 1-2 I don't need 30 you can sink a lot of money into them but I have not found that necessary.

The best is whats is best for you.my buddy loves the nor-bobbin, however I do not,it is a pain for me.see if you can get to play with a few see what ya like.For me it is the Rite bobbin all the way.good luck on your quest.

I like the rite bobbin I have two of them. To me not only are they ceramic but you can easily adjust the tension. I just got a Nor Vise bobbin but have not used it yet.

I've used Rite bobbins for a few years now. I like the long reach on the Magnum. I really don't use the tension control, to me it's just a gimic. I control the thread tension on the run with my palm on the bobbin. I set the tension control just enough to keep the spool from unwinding when it's hanging there. Kinda pricey, but in my case, well worth the money.

After going through several brands I have settled on two Rite's for most of my tying. I bought a Mitch's bobbin by Wasatch a month ago and use it when a pattern calls for dubbing. It is an amazing tool. I also have a smaller Wasatch I use for midge's.

I prefer the Nor-Vise Automatic Bobbin.

I second that. The Norvise Automatic bobbin is a fantastic tool. It took a few hours to get used to it, but now I hate to tie with any other bobbin.

The bobbins with the ceramic tubes work for me. No, I don't think the Petijean bobbins are worth the cost. I think all the Petijean products are over-priced, wildly so.

The ones with the ceramic inserts (not ceramic tubes) are good, but harder to load without a bobbin threader.

I agree that the Marc Petitjean tools are expensive but they a high quality. I bought a tool set from him at the Raleigh fly fishing show and I don't regret the purchase. The MP bobbin is fine tool and it's my go to for dubbing loops, but I don't know if I like it better than the Tiemco ceramic bobbins. I have two Stonfo adjustables that a great for heavy tying, several Tiemcos (standard and heavy duty) and a Rite bobbin. They all serve a purpose. You can never have enough gadgets when it comes to fly tying. Try as many as you can and see what you like best. I feel I have enough bobbins for now, but I do like the looks of the C&F bobbin.