Fly Tying
dontheo

HAIR WEAVING CRAZE

I must admit i took advantage of it and sold off some Whiting "gold" capes I was hoarding. Of course, I also shot myself in the foot as I didn't save any of the money to replace them. I still see a lot of people trying to sell capes on Ebay but I don't see any moving. My guess it is dead now. Hope everyone profited some from this.

0121.JPG

I hope it's almost over. I began boycotting the stuff as soon as it started. Started tying mostly with cdc and deer hair to avoid having to use it. This is a favorite that the shortage of hackle inspired...a no hackle cdc "hackle stacker"

Pete:

I am a huge haystack fan. That is a nice fly. What I do is sometimes don't splay the hair 180 degrees and do it more at 90. Makes it sit lower in the water.

Pete:

I am a huge haystack fan. That is a nice fly. What I do is sometimes don't splay the hair 180 degrees and do it more at 90. Makes it sit lower in the water.

Thanks, I'll have to try that.

Well at my local fly shop they are getting in some silver grade saddles in and they are only $39 but he has only gotten silver/gold badger, nat. brown, and black saddles . Also had a bunch of pro-grade herbert miner saddles but they are all gone now, think it will be some while before we see the grizzly saddles in the shops.

The feather craze took all of the feathers for around 11 months here, and they are just starting to use the feathers in the salons. Alot were bought and shipped down south to the states.

After looking at an online fly shop and the saddles they are selling either my local shop is under priced or they are over pricing them online, considering the fact that the main distributor of fly materials is only charging the shop an extra $9-$10 per saddle I think the online world is over charging.

The good news is that we are seeing them again and the craze is dying off :)

Unfortunately the craze is still going strong in Europe, since it took a while for them to discover the "style". Chickens only grow so fast so it will be a long while until there is what was the normal supply for fly tiers.

Guest Tony P

It's not over but it has slowed quite a bit. If you look at the prices on eBay they have drop significantly compared to 6 months ago.

My 17 year old daughter in south Louisiana received a feather weaving kit today as a "gag" gift...

In my book, that is pretty much a declaration that it's over...

It is dying, somewhat slowly, but surely. One aspect that has been helping with that is that many of the wearers and purveyors of extensions did not realise that the birds are actually slaughtered for the feathers, and had believed that the feathers simply dropped-off, or were somehow harvested, like shearing a sheep.

Its over. All anyone has to do is look at the saddle pricing on ebay to figure that out. If it was still going strong the prices would still be very high, they are not. As alot of people predicted, it was just a fasion craze. I am sure it will return someday, will it be next year or ten years????

Good luck, Tony

Nope barely started, My daughter is a professional fashion designer and figures its her for at least 6 years.

That may be the plan, but fashion is fickle and depends on the market to make the plans work. Pricing relative to supply is the best indicator...if supply is down and the price is going down, it can only be due to reduced demand.

;) Surely the young ladies are wearing the streamers in their hair to catch the Mullets that the lads are wearing! :lol:post-42518-0-28568000-1332354788_thumb.jpg

;) Surely the young ladies are wearing the streamers in their hair to catch the Mullets that the lads are wearing! :lol:post-42518-0-28568000-1332354788_thumb.jpg

Hey! I live in the Florida Panhandle, that ain't funny dammit... it's a beloved hair style, still worn with reverence round these parts.

We saw an ad in the sunday paper for a local salon doing weaves and Kohl's (sp?) is selling packs of feathers, the fad must be slowing.