Fly Tying

So I have always used felt sole boots, but with all of this talk of Didymo I am going to start using rubber sole boots. (I know that isnt a solution, I will also clean and dry them) My question is, studs or not?

Any brand or model you highly recommend?

Thanks!

---Joe

Good for you! I have also moved over to rubber-soled boots. As is, they are fine for sandy, pebbly bottoms. You need to add the studs and cleats when you fish freestone rivers with big rocks and algae. I bought Simms boots primarily because they accomodate my wide feet better than any of the others I looked at. If you tell us more about your criteria for choosing a boot and you may get more useful feedback.

I bought some Simms boots, I don't remember the model name right now, but they have the Boa closure system. I've never been a fan of felt soles. These boots have the grippy rubber soles and they seem fine to me. I don't use studs because in addition to wading I wear them in my kayak and I don't want to tear it up.

THE BOA CLOSURE IS WORTH EVERY PENNY OF THE ADDED EXPENSE!!! FAST, DURABLE, EXTREMELY EASY ON-OFF.

These boots are the only Simms product I've ever bought because most of it is priced outside what I can afford. I bought these boots because I needed boots right then, and my first choice wasn't available in size 14. They were about $60 more than what I wanted to spend, but now I am happy I did.

I have Simms Freestone with rubber sole. They're an awsome boot. I don't use cleats on the Truckee River in Nevada and California, but could have used them on the Mckenzie River in Oregon because their rocks were a lot slicker.

It all depends on where you are going to be wading. If the bottom is rocky and covered with slimy moss (didymo isn't slimy) then studs are a necessity. Gravel, mud or other "soft" bottoms, not a problem if you have good lugs.

I have a pair of Simms Headwaters, first off let me say that they are great (IMO). Light weight, comfy, good price. I live in NC and mostly fish in the mountains,so I walk on a lot of mossy,algae covered, loose rocks while fishing, as well as jump from boulder to boulder while traversing a stream/river. I installed the Simms Hardbite Star cleats on the first day that I used the boots and let it be known that I have not slipped once. The whole system is amazing. If you are wading atop of stones that average larger than a baseball, I would say go with the cleats. If you are wading atop peebles or sandy bottomed streams/ rivers/ lakes... skip the cleats.

$40 for cleats is a lot less expensive than the medical bill will be for getting hurt from slipping on rocks while wading.

Studs for sure. I have used nothing but rubber/studded for the past 5 years and I love them. As for the BOA laces that J mentioned....well, I am not a fan AT ALL of them at the moment :angry: :lol: Just last May I picked up a pair of the new Korker Metalheads with with BOA laces on them. about the 5th time using them one of the BOA knobs felt like it was hard to turn, I gave it a little more "umph" in the twist and snap, it broke right off the boot. The knobs are mounted on only a little 1/4" plastic post on the boot. They work fine as long as nothing gets in them to gum them up, but soon as something gets in them they get hard to turn and I snapped mine right off.

I never sent them back in last year to be fixed because I was so pissed I spent that much money only to have them fail mid vacation and leave me having to duck tape it to my foot. And actually I have them sitting in the kitchen right now because I'm finally taking them to the PO this afternoon to send to Korkers to fix them because I have a steelhead trip coming up I'm gonna need them for.

I will give them another shot when they get back, and HOPE they don't give me anymore issues, maybe I just got a bad pair. But if they do then I am going back to traditional laces and tossing these BOA'lace jobs away.

Steve

Expensive, but worth the money Korkers Chrome. They have interchangable soles, my preferance on the mossy rocks, studded felts. You carry a pair of sticky rubber soles when you don't want to leave marks.

Steve- contact Boa directly, they will send you repair parts for free. Your boots should have come with a little wrench to take the knob off and clean the mud/sand/grit out if you feel them getting mucked up. When I bought mine, I got home and noticed the wrench was not in the box with the boots (it's very small, smaller than a normal set of nippers you'd have with you when fishing.) I called Boa the next day and the girl there told me exactly how to register on their website and get whatever parts needed for repair- the wrench comes in a kit with an extra knob. Excellent customer service and I have not had any issues so far.

Thanks for the advise guys! I live and fish in CT and the Farmington is a rocky bottom. Looks like a pair of Simms (I also have wide feet) will be it with the cleats.

---Joe

Studs for sure. I have used nothing but rubber/studded for the past 5 years and I love them. As for the BOA laces that J mentioned....well, I am not a fan AT ALL of them at the moment :angry: :lol: Just last May I picked up a pair of the new Korker Metalheads with with BOA laces on them. about the 5th time using them one of the BOA knobs felt like it was hard to turn, I gave it a little more "umph" in the twist and snap, it broke right off the boot. The knobs are mounted on only a little 1/4" plastic post on the boot. They work fine as long as nothing gets in them to gum them up, but soon as something gets in them they get hard to turn and I snapped mine right off.

I never sent them back in last year to be fixed because I was so pissed I spent that much money only to have them fail mid vacation and leave me having to duck tape it to my foot. And actually I have them sitting in the kitchen right now because I'm finally taking them to the PO this afternoon to send to Korkers to fix them because I have a steelhead trip coming up I'm gonna need them for.

I will give them another shot when they get back, and HOPE they don't give me anymore issues, maybe I just got a bad pair. But if they do then I am going back to traditional laces and tossing these BOA'lace jobs away.

Steve

Steve,

I just bought a pair of the chrome boots, but I have had the Guide boot with the boa laces for about 4 years now with no problems. I love the boa laces and would never buy boots without them now. You should really give them another shot, they are especially nice in the winter when laces freeze and loosen up. It's nice to be able to quickly get the frozen waders and boots off at the end of the day.

Stan

I will for sure give them another shot, my Metalheads are actually at Korkers right now (I sent them in last week) so once I get them back I'll be trying them again. I've always liked Korkers, before this pair I had some Korker convertables that lasted me about 6 years so I know they are a good company. I think I just maybe got a fluke bad boa on the one boot. Which doesn't surprise me, that's how my luck usually goes lol.

Steve

Let us know how it goes Steve. I only have Boa on these wading boots (they are the River Tek model) and I'm 99% sure my next bike shoes are going to have it too.