Fly Tying
Dragonslayer

Automatic Bobbin

It's a precision tool designed to apply thread at a specific tension [enough to hold the material but not break the thread]...

After the internal spring pays out approximately 24" of thread, the mechanism must be reset by slightly unseating the spool... quick and easy...

If you tie teeny weeny flys which require ultra fine thread, this tool would be an interesting and rewarding revelation...

'Beautifully crafted and a pleasure to use... I have NO regrets...

Cheeerz

I have to agree it is great for small or delicate flies and I also have no complaints about this well designed Bobbin. It almost feels like it makes the wrap easier with the wee ones. If you can spare the $ it is a great investment. It does have a learning curve like most autos. He had 2 models available before. The designer is a fine man and quite friendly, if you can catch him before he grabs his rod on the way out the door. lol. It can take him a few days to ship it because he lives off the beaten path and has to drive out,as they say.

I have to agree it is great for small or delicate flies and I also have no complaints about this well designed Bobbin. It almost feels like it makes the wrap easier with the wee ones. If you can spare the $ it is a great investment. It does have a learning curve like most autos. He had 2 models available before. The designer is a fine man and quite friendly, if you can catch him before he grabs his rod on the way out the door. lol. It can take him a few days to ship it because he lives off the beaten path and has to drive out,as they say.

If I payed that for a bobbin,whether I could afford it or not, You all would be attending my funeral :unsure: ...me wife would string my big arse up!!! :angry: LOL... :lol:

Just got one, and not worth the money, in my mind. Tension is constant (sometimes one needs more or less), difficult to load, unbalanced, uncomfortable in the hand, and too expensive to have more than one or two on the desk. I do like them better than the Norvise auto bobbin, however, because they are shorter and use standard bobbins of thread.

I guess if one were to only focus on small flies with light thread, it MIGHT make sense, but why would one need to spend that sort of money to tie just one type of flies? For the price, a tool has to be more versatile, in my opinion. Save your money and buy a couple of Rite-Bobbins instead.

Thanks for the great information. The reason I am asking I just got a nor vise but do not like the bobbin. I am new to the tying world and I like to tye large 3/0 to small 14 size files. I use a rite bobbin right now but they do not lend to the feature of a Nor Vise. Thanks again for the pro and con

The norbobbin takes time to get used to. Its the only way to go with the norvise unless you are not taking advantage on the rotary feature.

I thought the automatic bobbin was offered in 2 sizes one for saltwater and bass and one for trout flies. I could be wrong but I think he offers both on the website. My 2 cents BF

I have two of the Ekich Bobbins with ceramic insert short and long tube bobbins.

Excellent design and work very nicely.

Regards,

FK

Again Thanks for all the great advice. I ended up and brought two, the trout in stainless steel and the salmon with the ceramic tip. They are great so far I like the ability of using the spool instead of loading a spool.

Just looked at the website for the bobbin, looks a great tool for tube fly tying. It is expensive but it would pay for itself over the years as I reckon I could turn out 2 or 3 extra tubes at a sitting if it works as well as in the vid.

I personally like the Nor Bobbin better but I prefer it's smaller size. It is nice and center balanced as well as I like to use a split thread technique when dubbing etc... The ekich is bulky and feels so awkward and you have to hold it a certain way where the Nor bobbin it doesn't matter which way it's facing. Having to reset the ekich in the middle of tying is sometimes very inconvenient as well. I don't mind loading thread either and sometimes loading certain spools on the Ekich takes awhile especially if it's a little tight fitting as it pushes the o-ring out of the groove and it won't retract worth beans then. But if you prefer a big bulky un-balanced bobbin go for it.