Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
chriswalrath

Hackle / Hair Rollover

Dear, FTF.com

It is difficult to get the hair/hackle to stay put when I am wrapping the first couple of anchor loops over it. Or, if I try a big loop to not put tension on the material until I am around I can never get the loop to pick up where the other left off and things are awful loose.

I seem to be getting by, but what is the secret to keep this stuff from rolling around the shank with my thread?

Thanks.

Loopy on Delmarva

(edit: if this would be more appropriate in Beginners (bet it would) feel free to move it there. won't double post)

some of it may depend on what you're tying it to...if there's a layer of dubbing or even some thread wraps underneath where you tie in the hair, it works better.

it's called thread torque. Experience will teach you how much your material is going to be "rolling around" the hook shank when you come tight with the thread. Hold your material in an offset position, so when you tighten the thread, it is moved into the correct place.

Paul, I'll try to pinch harder. Pete, yeah, I always take the thread down the shank through the bend and back up before I put anything on in, tail, et al. J, in seeing that the material was rolling I actually tried to head it off by positioning it slightly offset with some modicum of success. So, I can see the best way to overcome this is to, well, keep on tyin'.

Thanks, guys.

Sometimes you can throw a half hitch right next to what ever you're about to tie on next...it may keep any loose previous wraps from loosening up what you're about to add in.

Hi Chris,

You already have several great suggestions. As already stated we suggest if the material tends to compress (like deer hair) then place it on the near side of the hook and it will end up on top of the hook after your thread wraps are tightened.

Another option if tying with denser material like squirrel tail fibers: Position the material on top of the hook and hold it there with several snug (but not tight) thread wraps. Then place your VERY tight thread wrap directly on top of the snug wraps. The second application of thread anchors the material in place while the first application of snug thread acts as a buffer between the material and the thread torque your VERY tight wraps place on the material. Does this techniques always work? No but it is worth placing in your bag-of-tricks. Take care & ...