Fly Tying
Halfie

So WHY Sally Hanson

The standard advice about nail polish is:

"It's Sally Hanson, Grasshopper. Git used to it."

So who did the test that proves using Aunt Mabels Purty Good Polish

is strictly for clueless yokels like me?

I don't like the packaging of Sally Hanson. The brush handle is too

long and the bottle is oval in cross section. I like shorter handles

and a cylindrical cross section.

Someone must have hyped this just like Gary LaFontaine hyped "tri-lobal"

filaments in antron.

So what's the official explanation?

Confused as usual,

Halfie

Not at all sure just why everyone lists Sally Hanson's polish, but many other nail coatings will work just fine. I have been using several different brands from the Dollar Stores, and Wet and Wild from K Mart. The work fine, and all cost about a dollar a bottle. I use clear, black, and several other colors.

I also use spar varnish for head cement. I keep an old bottle of SHHAN filled with Poly spar varnish on my desk. It takes a little longer to dry, but I am not usually in any hurry.

The dollar stores sell nail polish remover for a buck or two. There is one kind that is JUST Acetone. I use it to thin most of the nail polishes that I have been using, and its a very inexpensive way to buy it.

Last I heard, there aren't too many fish with chem degrees, they won't care what you use.

utyer,

Same here. I've been using whatever's cheapest in the most tip-proof bottle.

Acetone works great here too.

But there must be some reason folks keep saying Sally H. is the bees knees.

I couldn't tell a difference between it and brand X.

But then, I'm the product of serious inbreeding.

Dazed as well as confused,

-Halfie

I use whatever is available to me readily. My local dollar store carries Sally Hansens so thats what I use. The bottle I have now is better then the last I had. Its a glass cylindrical container. But again.. I just get whats available.

Its Hard as Nails.

Similar can be asked about Zap-a-Gap. I've been using the cheaper BSI (Bob Smith Industries) for years now and have not had a problem. Others use other brands of CA and haven't had a problem either.

Kirk

Sally Hansens is available everywhere and it is cheap. I think it is 2.98 a bottle. Secondly, I transfer it into my head cement bottle and cut it a bit with either acetone or lacquer thinner. If you find another nail polish that works, go for it. But I know Sally Hansens will not yellow and I don't know if that is true of off brands.

I use a Renzetti head cement bottle with the metal bodkin. It has an inner plastic seal the keeps the bottle sealed even with the cap off.

12668661868071062305119.jpeg

Ok, 9 posts to this thread so far.

Now what I want to know is who started the "Sally Hanson is righteous stuff"

campaign and what was the rational?

It's on the persnickity edge of fly tying, and I know that, but I'm trying to

figure out how it got started as a recommendation.

Someone must know. Where's Hans when you need him?

(That is NOT a jab at Mr. W.)

Answer before midnight tonight and you'll get 150 dozen poppers tied by Yours Truely

using only items found at a McDonalds condiment station.

Confuzed, Dazed, and somewhat Fazed,

-Halfie

I started tying in 1966, and really can't tell you who started it with Sally Hansen's. Perhaps someone like C. Boyd Pfeiffer, he was the master of cheap tying & always coming up with cheap things like that. I only recall that the SH brand, and the Hard As Nails in particular has been mentioned numerous times in articles & online, since there has been an online. I've also used other brands, just as I've tried just about every head cement brand that came along. I still go back the SHHAN. As Silver Creek has said, it's widely available, it's cheap & it works well. Hard to argue with that type of logic! :D

Now what I want to know is who started the "Sally Hanson is righteous stuff"

campaign and what was the rational?

I suspect the rational was that Sally Hanson's really is "righteous stuff". I don't know if it is better than any other clear nail polish, but it is certainly very good and widely available. I found it on my own in 1979. It was what I found on the shelf, when I went looking for clear nail polish.

The Sally Hanson "Salon" stuff comes in a square bottle. I don't know if it's the same stuff, but it works well. And I cut the brush off to a convenient size. As is, the bristles are too long.