Fly Tying
dronlee

Furry Foam Crayfish

Now that’s a great looking fly you have there. Looks like a killer to me. How about a step by step showing how you tie it.

Opps sorry about that I see there is one.

Where do you get the furry foam?

P.S. Good job on the flies, keep posting. :)

J Stockard sells furry foam, as do many other fly shop, and fly tying vendors. Comes in several colors. Baby blankets are made from the same material, and it can be found in bulk at craft and fabric stores. The foam itself will break down after several years of storage, so don't get too much. It can be colored with markers, or died.

J Stockard sells furry foam, as do many other fly shop, and fly tying vendors. Comes in several colors. Baby blankets are made from the same material, and it can be found in bulk at craft and fabric stores. The foam itself will break down after several years of storage, so don't get too much. It can be colored with markers, or died.

Interesting note about the foam breaking down. How does it stand up to general fishing? Not catching fish but just getting dunked?

Just like Utyer said... The foam will last couple of years.... If you don't fish with it.

The foam is also doing fine for my fishing... I have another pattern call Shrimp X which I use to fish for trigger fish in Maldives... The foam is hardy enough to take the chew from these big toothy triggers... Some of them still in good shape after the trip...

The only weakness of the furry foam is, they can't take very sharp teeth... actually most material can't take razor sharp teeth... Especially those fish which like to shake their head when they struggle...

Another weakness of the foam is the decoloration... Especially the olive color foam, it will fade and turn yellowish after sometime.... But this can be solve by adding color with markers...

Furry foam is still one of my favorite material to tie with....