Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
JSzymczyk

kayak smallmouths

Here are a few pics of my first smallmouths of this year- yesterday at West Fairview area. New Wilderness Ride 135 is a super Kayak. Standing and casting is no problem at all. Water temp was 60 already, weather has been ridiculously warm. Caught 8 or 9 like these, a mix of fly tackle and spinning. The fly they wanted was a marabou crayfish/woolly bugger/rubber leg monster dead drifted, no twitching or stripping at all.

post-10077-0-31233300-1332151688_thumb.jpg

post-10077-0-41440400-1332151701_thumb.jpg

post-10077-0-38360900-1332151713_thumb.jpg

Nice chunky colored up smallies Joel B) It has been crazy weather lately hasn't it, it's been in the mid to high 70's here the past week. Normally it's about 40 this time of year. Smallmouth fishing is gonna turn on early this year it looks like.

Steve

Nice fish!!

I spent the weekend building a roof rack and wall rack for my kayaks, looks like should be fishing from them instead. West Fairview is not too far from me.

It's a strange time, like the fish aren't sure what to do. It is too early in the year to have 60 degree water. They literally stacked up in some of the holes. Water was very clear. The Susquehanna is only running about 5 feet now and still dropping, last year at this time it was over 11 and the creek mouths were backed up like lakes- water temp was only high 40s. I saw several which were easily 20+, whenever I would hook one, there would be 4 or 5 chasing it around as it fought. In fact the 18 in the one pic had two following it which were substantially bigger, so they were true monsters.

Last year at this time we were flooded, this year we need rain. Maybe we need a year of stable non-flood water levels to get a good spawn.

Joe, we'll have to get together soon with the kayaks.

Nice fish JS. Im just starting to look at kayaks for this year. SO many to choose from!

Beautiful fish! And thanks for the good observation about the season, man they are nice smallers.