Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
nyFLYguy05

Kinky Muddler Fly

The Kinky Muddler Fly

http://www.flyfisherman.com/2011/06/28/the-kinky-muddler/

Has anyone ever tried to tie this fly up? It may be old news, but its looks nasty as hell - a buddy of mine sent it to me to tie up.

I do not have kinky fibers, can I substitute other materials? If so, what do you think would work good? Congo hair? Craft fur?

Does any have other saltwater muddler fly patterns without using kinky fiber????

Any help would be great!!!!

Thanks!

I'm thinking you could use Congo hair or one of FTD's other products to get that head and body....in fact I'd bet on YOU being able to do it... :lol:

Murray

That's pretty good info Dave - I might try that one with wig hair just for the heck of it. He's got the mullet shape down pat. Thanks for bringing it up Joe.

That's a killer pattern, thanks for sharing. You can no doubt use craft fur or congo hair although they are both a lot softer than kinky fiber. The buoyancy of the fly may be different that's about it. I would strongly recommend giving SF Flashblend a try, though. Not just for this pattern but it is just a great all around material. It also works great on EP style flies.

post-18514-0-13078500-1332333826_thumb.jpg

Congo or EP would work just fine. Putting the fibers in a dubbing loop or making/buying dubbing brushes would make tying the head much faster. That is one of the uses for Enrico's many EP brushes; wrap around shank and trim to shape, whether it be a crab, shrimp or baitfish head.

I read part of the article where he says he had seen a similar effect in Bob Popovics book but I find it funny how he goes on to say that his error in tying opened up many possibilities. I'm confused, if Bob Popovics published a fly tied with a head like that wouldn't Bob's method be the one that opened the possibilities. Now, I'm not saying that King had seen the fly first and copied it and claimed it for himself; he most likely like many great flyfishers and fly tiers came up with it on his own not having seen it done before. It happens all the time, I think when people discover that someone else around the country is or did tie the same thing they did, will usually say that Great Minds Think Alike.

Many, like myself that tied ram's wool head flies, which are great for pushing water and sinking really well, started using synthetics like craft fur years ago to get the same effect for shallower water.

Johnny's flies are outstanding in their workmanship and apparent fishability without a doubt, but for him to say and even Fly Fisherman to publish that he is the one that opened the possibilities, is crazy.

Oh well, he ain't the first and won't be the last.

Sorry to have went off on a tangent.

Kirk

Well said Kirk - the notion that anything we do hasn't been done many times before by somebody, somewhere, is nonsense. That's one of the reasons I rarely name anything - the odds are, it already has a name. Probably several. My only gripe is with tyers who deliberately take somebody else's ideas and claim them for their own. For example, just do a search for "Page's Big-eyed Baitfish" and tell me what you see. According to my extensive spy network, there's a certain guy named Lefty who wasn't particularly amused when that one came out. Guess we're getting off-topic a bit, but it's one of my pet peeves.

One of my pet peeves as well... Imagine seeing one of your signature patterns claimed by another (and actually had an article on it written for him that was published in a major magazine...). Put simply, that's the reason I began posting all the fly tying stuff for anyone that might have an interest.

Well said Kirk - the notion that anything we do hasn't been done many times before by somebody, somewhere, is nonsense. That's one of the reasons I rarely name anything - the odds are, it already has a name. Probably several. My only gripe is with tyers who deliberately take somebody else's ideas and claim them for their own. For example, just do a search for "Page's Big-eyed Baitfish" and tell me what you see. According to my extensive spy network, there's a certain guy named Lefty who wasn't particularly amused when that one came out. Guess we're getting off-topic a bit, but it's one of my pet peeves.

Thread offically seems HiJACKED!!

My take on it is this.. whenever I decided to "name" a fly I tied, which is rare, I always indicate "I am sure I am not the first to tie this pattern". When I draw from the ole cranium to make a fly off the top of my head its taking from all sorts of techniques and flies I have seen, so I just assume it has been done before. Im not looking to "invent" a fly although I do think it'd be awesome!

Off my soapbox now!

Joe-Cool pattern. I have only tied them with congo hair and EP 3d, not even sure what kinky fiber is. They have always came out fine! and with the flies you tie, I am sure they will come out great.

Ben, Kinky Fiber, also sold as Slinky Fiber is probably the closest substitue to bucktail. Kinky/Slinky fiber was out just before EP and was gaining in popularity and was taken over by EP.

Synthetics just a couple decades ago were stiff lifeless strands of nylon that were bulky at the tie in point, slippery to hold in place and generally just clumped together. However, as Surf Candy flies and stick baits prove, clumpy, stick shaped baits are highly effective.

The thickness of each fiber was probably like 8 - 12 lb test nylon monofiliment of today except not as supple as today's casting lines. To try and give the material some body or fluff when tied in, some manufacturers start running the nylon through crimping machines to give the indivudual strands kinks. That wasn't much better but on the right track. Then they started scruding it out thinner before crimping and came out with some thinner crimped nylon but it still didn't have the effect of bucktail; I think that stuff was called Supreme Hair.

Then the Kinky and Slinky came out with more of a wavy kink, pretty damn close to bucktail with good body and the fibers are pretty fine compared to the old stuff and is comparable to a bucktail tie in point. However, being thinner, it is a lot more floppy and in certain applications, more likely to tangle compared to bucktail.

Now EP and Congo made from Polypropylene is out and is very supple, more fine than buctail and has pretty good body.

There were probably other nylon hair products in between, those I mentioned above are just what I can remember/used.

Kirk

I've been waiting for this....

EP in peacock far left....the rest you see the lables (black is kinky fiber)

IMG_0701.jpg

I go through phases

IMG_0703.jpg

IMG_0704.jpg

The amount of Congo hair I have is insane :blink:

My take on it is this.. whenever I decided to "name" a fly I tied, which is rare, I always indicate "I am sure I am not the first to tie this pattern". When I draw from the ole cranium to make a fly off the top of my head its taking from all sorts of techniques and flies I have seen, so I just assume it has been done before. Im not looking to "invent" a fly although I do think it'd be awesome!

Off my soapbox now!

Joe-Cool pattern. I have only tied them with congo hair and EP 3d, not even sure what kinky fiber is. They have always came out fine! and with the flies you tie, I am sure they will come out great.

What hijack? I'll mention mullet here just to stay on-topic. Of course, I'm talking about Ben's hairstyle, but no matter. Slinky (kinky fiber) is the same material as the wig hair I use. I've got both, and there isn't an ounce of difference. I'll tie up a mullet or two with the wig hair and post the results - a potential buyer's coming to look at our house today, so it won't be until tomorrow. (see, no hijack - contrary to popular belief, I can follow the rules sometimes)

Damn Panama! Looks like I missed a few synthetic releases! I've got chit loads of Fuzzy and Kinky Fibre and a chit load of Congo and EP added; I wonder what is next?

...(see, no hijack - contrary to popular belief, I can follow the rules sometimes)

Not your fault Peter, I kind of started. Wasn't trying to be a chit stirrer but sometimes that happens.

Kirk

Off my soapbox now!

What hijack? I'll mention mullet here just to stay on-topic. Of course, I'm talking about Ben's hairstyle, but no matter. Slinky (kinky fiber) is the same material as the wig hair I use. I've got both, and there isn't an ounce of difference. I'll tie up a mullet or two with the wig hair and post the results - a potential buyer's coming to look at our house today, so it won't be until tomorrow. (see, no hijack - contrary to popular belief, I can follow the rules sometimes)

PeterJay.. We dont need to hear about your wig hair either! Im sure you "tell" people its for fly tying, except when the sun goes down you are rocking a sweet fire tiger toupe!

Nothing wrong with a mullett. Business in the front, party in the rear! :lol:

PanamaAre you opening a synthetic fiber fly tying shop or something??? Maybe I should be buying from you! You can be the middle man. :thumbsup: