Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
nyFLYguy05

Kinky Muddler Fly

Damn Panama! Looks like I missed a few synthetic releases! I've got chit loads of Fuzzy and Kinky Fibre and a chit load of Congo and EP added; I wonder what is next?

...(see, no hijack - contrary to popular belief, I can follow the rules sometimes)

Not your fault Peter, I kind of started. Wasn't trying to be a chit stirrer but sometimes that happens.

Kirk

Kirk. Hijacking is cool as long as you put out a warning :lol:

hijack.gif

PeterJay.. We dont need to hear about your wig hair either! Im sure you "tell" people its for fly tying, except when the sun goes down you are rocking a sweet fire tiger toupe!

Awright Ben, ya got me! I guess it's time to come clean - I don't tie flies at all - hell, I've never even been fishing. You've gotta admit though, it was one heckuva cover story. Good thing my wife doesn't read the forum.

Awright Ben, ya got me! I guess it's time to come clean - I don't tie flies at all - hell, I've never even been fishing. You've gotta admit though, it was one heckuva cover story. Good thing my wife doesn't read the forum.

First step is admitting! :D

The first step is easy enough, it's the second step that's always given me trouble. I've never been convinced that returning to sanity is such a hot idea - I'm having too much fun being nuts. 11 out of 12 will have to be good enough.

Hello Gents -- I just came across this thread and, as the author of the article in question, wanted to respond to all the bald highjackers out there. I actually have been a member of this site for a while, but have mostly posted trout flies in the past and hadn't really checked out the saltwater section. Anyway... Kinky Fiber, Slinky Fiber, Wig Hair, Synthetic Yak Hair, Syn-Yak, Kanekalon, etc. are all very similar materials and all work really well for this pattern. They are thin enough to tie a nice compact head, but have enough body to create the right texture and keep their shape when a rooster or striper munches on them. I don't like EP and similar materials for this particular pattern, because they are too fine and trap too much air for the way the fly is tied, at least for my tastes, although you can regulate the level of trapped air by how densely you pack the collars. By the same token, Ultra Hair and Supreme Hair are too thich for the proper texture, so I really do like the above. SF Flash Blend is the same stuff blended with Angel Hair, and looks cool and works great. As far as dubbing brushes, they don't work too well for this pattern -- I've tried! The whole point of the technique is to have the fibers laying back at a 45 degree or even sharper angle, so you get a good transition from head to tail, with no interruption or "valley" between the two, whereas the dubbing brushes tend to stick up at right angles too much. Brad Buzzi, a great SW tyer, makes some brushes this way, but the heads come out way rougher for my tastes. The EP brushes can be swept back some, but again, the material isn't optimal. By the way, EP Trigger Point is AWESOME for spinner wings.

As far as Kirk's comment on the reference to BobPop, sorry if my point was misunderstood in the article. Bob's one of my closest friends, and was a big supporter even of that particular article. What I meant to say was that I'd screwed up on trimming a pattern, it reminded me of something I'd seen in Bob's book, and then I realized that trimming down that way gave me some possibilities for a sythetic muddler type head. It was just a simple adaptation of something I'd seen, no more or less. After continuing to play with the pattern, and tying a zillion flies at various winter shows, I tried to refine the steps to make it easier to get the wide profile quickly, with the V-ties. Of course there's nothing very original about it -- just an adaptation and I wouldn't claim there is. It's just a nice little fly pattern that's worked for me. Bob, in fact, likes it too. And, by the way, Bob is one of the few people I know who has truly created a bunch of flies that are truly, 100% original. But he's a rarity. I've got a nice upside down, weighted sculpin variation, articulated too, that I can post. Anyway, hope that clear things up, and I did get a chuckle out of the all the wig talk. Glad to know there are so many fellow dorks out there...

Jonny

Nice to hear from you Jonny - if you're looking to hang out with dorks, you've come to the right place. As a matter of fact, I was gonna name one of my flies "PJ's Dork," but everybody here would have thought I named it after him. Just keep punching out those mullet - if I ever get a spare minute, I'm gonna tie up a few. Think I'll start with black - I prefer the brighter colors in my wigs, so I know I've got plenty of black on hand.

My turn to hi jack! B)

I wish you guys would lighten up on the man! Didn't any of you read the entire article? He's a lawyer for crying out loud, it goes against his training to actually say what he really means! :rolleyes:

Jonny, I know some of your flies from SOL. I'm always impressed by your flies! Congrats on the article! Thanks for stopping in & straightening these guys out! :lol:

BTW, how did you know I was bald? <_<