Fly Tying
Gene L

What sizes do you tie to

I've never found it necessary to go smaller than #20, even on the so-called "highly technical" streams out west. With my aging eyes, I'm happy to be tying for salt water these days - I don't remember the last time I tied anything smaller than #4.

I haven't tied anything smaller than a 16. Around here I haven't had any use for smaller flies. We mostly have largemouth and smallmouth bass. But, I like to tie larger anyway.

What patterns do you tie that small? I go to 22s for bwo but thats it.

flies I tie in 24's and smaller are Barr's emerges, zebra midges, juju's, kleis's red zone, rs 2, disco midge, black beauty, parachute adams, trico, etc. You can't argue with success and on certain river systems small is where it is at. The biggest problem I find with fishing small flies on technical rivers is the fish often exceed the ability of the hook to hold. Sure you can hook up with a monster on ....... but can you land the fish without killing them? I honestly usually loose the pig by bending the hook out with too much pressure. Its a fine line much like tippet strength. My best hook ups and best fish over the past year have been with 24-26 midges, my best fish on and lost have been from the same.

My hook range is pretty short. I've tied size 3/0 pike flies to size 14 panfish bugs. :lol:

For me that would be Mustad #277 in size 32. Mind you, for this hook the 32 is simply a number. In real terms it is off the scale :rolleyes: For tying only, not for my fishing.

size_32.jpg

For fishing flies I stop at Tiemco 2488 #30 - a small but very fishable hook.

klinkhamer_special_30.jpg

Cheers,

Hans W

#32 for me. On the finger tip, Tiemco 518 to the left and Mustad 277 to the right. (Quite some difference.):

hooks_on_finger_sm.jpg

Mustad 277:

277_peacock_prick1_sm.jpg 277_beetle_sm.jpg

(I'm not ashamed to say that it wasn't a 5-minute job though. :lol:)

Tiemco 518:

32_bugger_sm.jpg 32_knitpick_sm.jpg 32_triple_decker2_sm.jpg

The smallest I've ever fished is #24 though...

I am sure you will all find this odd but what I do if I want to tie some 22's. First I will tie about 10 32's.... then when I tie the 22's they dont seem so small. I know it sounds dumb but it works.

I am sure you will all find this odd but what I do if I want to tie some 22's. First I will tie about 10 32's.... then when I tie the 22's they dont seem so small. I know it sounds dumb but it works.

That actually makes complete sense.

The fly in my avatar is an extended body BWO I tied. The hook is a 22 2X short.

post-28595-0-08355400-1333120084_thumb.jpg

Its always amazed me the size of trout that takes the two extremes of hook/bait sizes. BlakeJD mentioned it though, hooking them is one thing, landing them's altogether different.

Its always amazed me the size of trout that takes the two extremes of hook/bait sizes. BlakeJD mentioned it though, hooking them is one thing, landing them's altogether different.

I have landed some pretty nice fish on tiny stuff. The key is really the right reel and rod. Go with a 1-2wt rod so you can put max pressure on the fish while still protecting the tippet. With the lighter rods you will naturally fight the fish harder because you know you have a cushion. With a heavier rod you will naturally be less likely to push the battle because your brain is telling you not to pop the tippet. The other big deal is a click and pawl drag on the reel. Disc brags tend to need more energy to get them spinning. This is often called start up inertia. I also tie on a short shank hook so I have a tiny fly with more bite.

When I lived in NY we like to fish the Trico fall on the Delaware. That was a "Real Treat", big bows eating size 26 spinners. If we landed 1 in 5 fish it was banner day. Most days we just walked away at the end shaking our heads.

I have been really surprised at how quickly my 1wt is beating fish even on 7 and 8X tippets. I am sure it is because I can double the rod over and the fish never gets a break.

where I fish now the bugs are not as thick as on the streams I once fished so I am fishing a LOT of midges (18-26) and landing a lot of nice fish. The right gear really helps.

Paul

3 weights are considered light here in UK and especially for me in windy Scotland I can't see many times when I will have conditions to allow me to get a 3 or less line out any distance. I am scouting a small river this year which in places is very narrow and might allow a finer approach.