Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flyfishing99

Anyone Else Tie Purple Hazes?

Hi,

Am wondering if anyone has much experience fishing one of these flies? I was watching a video by Walt Wiese of Park's Fly Shop tying one very similar. He says they are quite effective out there.

IMG_2821.jpg

Or the "Adams" hackled Purple Haze:

IMG_2828.jpg

Never seen this but I like purple flies so will look this up and knock out a few for the long summer nights.

I have had good luck with the original Purple Haze parachute. After the discussion on the other board, I tied up some Purple Haze Cripples. I got a chance to try them this past week on the Crooked River. They worked great. Too many variables and too little time to say they worked better than a standard cripple. But they produced consistently. I think they will be a permanent addition to the BWO box.

I love the purple haze almost as much as the purple para wulff and my variations of that. That fly is nails for me from july to September. Mine look quite a bit different but same idea

I love the purple haze almost as much as the purple para wulff and my variations of that. That fly is nails for me from july to September. Mine look quite a bit different but same idea

How about a pic?

Thanks

Here is the pic of my purple para haze I took a little from the purple haze and a little from the purple para wulff and created a fly that floats great is easy to see and the fish love it in the middle of the summer my only issue is keeping the tinsel in place on the back without covering the body of the fly in head cement. I tie two variations one with a moose tail and one with a deer they both float and i don't know if there really is a difference to the fish (doubt it)

post-35462-0-48368200-1332689888_thumb.jpg

Never had to tie any (mine used to come pre-packaged.) So this is the first one I have tied. First I had to roll my own dubbing mix.

post-12074-0-95441100-1332795349_thumb.jpg

I'm not really sure what it imitates i'm not the most knowledgeable or experienced, but that being said I have been fishing it pretty hard and researching it for a few years now. To the best of my ability I have come to believe that is an attractor in the truest sense it doesn't seem to imitate one thing it does a very good job imitating all sorts of mayflies.

Never had to tie any (mine used to come pre-packaged.) So this is the first one I have tied. First I had to roll my own dubbing mix.

Very nice fly there!