Fly Tying
Drakegunner

Flash Storage Help

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum and have loved what I've seen so far.

I do have a question for my first post.

I have a lot of flash material and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for storage/display on my bench.

I'm tired of rifling through plastic boxes.

Thanks again for any help.

I keep all my flash material in the original plastic sleeve, and all of it is in one plastic drawer. Someone around this forum suggests using rigid plastic tubes, which is also an excellent idea, but I've already paid for the plastic sleeve the flash came in. I don't know how many packs of flash I have, but it's quite a lot, and they're loosely arranged in the drawer by color, light to dark, so it doesn't take more than a few seconds to locate the one I want.

Keeping each flash bundle contained is the only way to prevent a tangled mess. I've seen some of those spinner-things that got dropped and turned into a big knot. It doesn't take long to accumulate enough types and colors of flash to fill several of those spinners... Plus they collect dust and take up a good bit of space on the bench, if that is an issue.

I don't care to display my materials, I rather keep them in drawers where I know they won't fade from UV exposure over time and I can protect the natural stuff from pests.

I don't care to display my materials, I rather keep them in drawers where I know they won't fade from UV exposure over time and I can protect the natural stuff from pests.

I agree with JS - as I have acquired more supplies it has become impossible to keep stuff on the bench. I get storage boxes or drawers and label them. Then when I sit down to tie, I get out what I need for whatever pattern I will be working on and put it away when I am done.

i agree

i also keep flash in the original bag, clip off a corner to access th flash and store the bags in a rubbermaid/sterlite plastic shoe box

I keep mine in the original bag as well, but i have them standing up in a huge mug i bought at Bass Pro. Also have a few peackock and turkey tails in there, looks nice on my desk.

i agree

i also keep flash in the original bag, clip off a corner to access th flash and store the bags in a rubbermaid/sterlite plastic shoe box

That is exactly what I'm currently doing. In fact, I even have the same boxes. I have a couple of boxes full and it takes some time to find what would like.

I do like to keep my stuff stored away from light/bugs/dust but since my desk is in the basement (away from sunlight) and bugs aren't a problem with synthetics, I was looking for a better way to quickly see and access them. (Like the spinner idea)

Just looking for a better/ more efficient way.

i agree

That is exactly what I'm currently doing. In fact, I even have the same boxes. I have a couple of boxes full and it takes some time to find what would like.

I do like to keep my stuff stored away from light/bugs/dust but since my desk is in the basement (away from sunlight) and bugs aren't a problem with synthetics, I was looking for a better way to quickly see and access them. (Like the spinner idea)

Just looking for a better/ more efficient way.

How about the black binder clips used to hold paper together. You could group the flash by type, then binder clip the bags and hang them on a hook. need krystal flash/ grab that binder and pick the color you want, or flashabou or how ever you want to group them. Another way would be to use a large ring through the hole that is normally in the bag, similar to a large set of keys.

Crystal%20Flash.jpg

The materials come packaged in plastic sleeves zip tied in the middle. Take another zip tie and place it on one side of the original zip tie. Then cut the two sections apart. You will have two hanks of flash material held by a zip tie. Take the two hanks out of the plastic sleeve and cut a triangular "window" out of the sleeve on each side at the top (side opposite the closure) of the sleeve. Now mix and match the colors and put different colors of the the zip tie material on each side with the zip ties toward the middle and the material towards the open triangle windows.

You now have two different colors in each bag and they stay untangled. You grab what you want through the open triangular window and cut it off at the zip tie or you came pull it out of the zip tie. The material stays untangled in the original package, kind of like a Kleenex box dispensed tissue.

No special Lazy Susan to hang materials. I think simpler is better.

I am in the storage box club. I find that if I keep everything packed away I'm more tempted to take out the right material for the pattern I'm following. If its already on the desk I tend to get lazy and tie whats to hand.

I too keep my flash in its original package and all of the flash packages are together in one larger zip-lock type bag I acquired along the way. This bag is stored in a "large" plastic box that holds man-made materials. I have several boxes organized by material type.

I live in an apartment and do not have a permanent tying station. Everything must be stored in a closet and brought out when I tie. Organization is key and my system is the result of setting up for tying and spending more time looking for what I need than tying. I'm not completely satisfied with my system, the large boxes I did not purchase but picked up through the years, so they are of different sizes and design; nevertheless, I now know where everything is and that's most important.

Since you wish to display your flash, the Oasis spinner system might be a good choice. Or you could DIY a set up, perhaps repurpose something designed to hang neck ties on. ?

Edit: I can envision something like they use at the dry cleaners. You push a button and your flash rotates on a belt until you release the button when the desired flash is at your finger tips...Rube Goldbergesque :lol:

If you have pets that have any type of access to the flash, keep it in a container, my cats have gotten to the flash on a few occasions and it isn't pretty, they can make a serious mess of it in a hurry.

Blane

No pets.

I am intrigued by the "tie hanger" idea.

Does anyone have any experience with the Oasis Spinners?

I have one and like it for my most used flash (the bulk and excess I keep in an old library card catalog...wish I had more of those). I've actually been thinkink of making a non-spinning version myself. Just route a channel around a 1x3, cut some notches for the flash to hang through, and place a pony tail holder in the routed channel, and mount it to the side of my table.

No pets.

I have one and like it for my most used flash (the bulk and excess I keep in an old library card catalog...wish I had more of those). I've actually been thinkink of making a non-spinning version myself. Just route a channel around a 1x3, cut some notches for the flash to hang through, and place a pony tail holder in the routed channel, and mount it to the side of my table.

No pets.

I think that would work. I have a woodworker friend who may be able to build me a "spinner" as well.