Fly Tying
Drakegunner

Flash Storage Help

I built two of the non spinning version for 3 bucks. One one inch dowel, a 1 by 5 board, two screws, a bowl to trace a circle and a jigsaw. I put sticky back foam in colors I will never use on the bases to keep from scratching the table. Used a dremel tool to router a groove around the top disc and stole a hair band from my wife. I'll take a pic...

Here's another method. The tubes can be obtained in aluminum or brass from any hardware store. The plastic tag the flash material is wrapped on usually has a long handle like stem that merely slides down into the tubes.

Dave

post-58-0-38403300-1333031216_thumb.jpg

Here's what I use - it's hard to tell from the pic, but it's a three-tiered wire plant stand that's flat on the back so it can be hung on the wall. I got it at an estate sale as a throw-in, but I've seen similar ones at local close-out stores. The advantage is that it doesn't take up any desk space and gives me more room to pile up mounds of hair and feathers from the last 50 flies I've tied. (I've really gotta work on that)

post-281-0-10524900-1333034773_thumb.jpg

I have a yard stick that I mounted horizontal hanging off the side of my desk and it holds a ton of flash, just all lined up in a row and draped over the yard stick.

Looks like an accident in Lady GAGAs wardrobe Peterjay. :lol:

Actually, I'm a roadie for her tour band. It doesn't pay a helluva lot, but I get dibs all her old wigs. What I'm really hoping for is for George Clinton to make a comeback. Now THERE'S some serious material.

Started using the tubes after watching Kelly Galloup and I think it's the ultimate way to store. Easy to store in drawers and really protects  the flash

On 3/27/2012 at 10:08 AM, Crotalus said:

How about the black binder clips used to hold paper together. You could group the flash by type, then binder clip the bags and hang them on a hook. need krystal flash/ grab that binder and pick the color you want, or flashabou or how ever you want to group them. Another way would be to use a large ring through the hole that is normally in the bag, similar to a large set of keys.

Exactly how I do it, but I keep 'em in a drawer. Split ring for "grouping most of my other materials, like quills, biots, peacock sticks, schlappen, etc.