Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
michiganborn

Situation - what would you use?

IMHO, not catching those bugs is an injustice to yourself. Dont get me wrong, if you're having fun, more power to you, its what its all about and i am not here to tell you you're wrong. But, if you were to follow some of the advice above and catch some of these bugs, and say...go to your local shop and find the closest pattern, or say...tie it, you will spend the rest of your life in a relentless pursuit of something wonderful. Sometimes its not the content but the process. Go catch that bug man, you'll be glad when it leads to you catching that fish...

OK let me add my two cents. Big trout routinely jumping out of the water. Two, there are no visible insects. Three, the river is twenty feet across. I would go with a twenty gauge modified choke and 7 1/2 or 8 shot so not to hurt the meat.

I can make a suggestion of what not to use. I caught a guy in the river throwing a cast net yesterday Said he couldn't get the fish to eat his worms and he wanted to take some trout home. After a brief "conversation" he left the river without trout and without his cast net. I did let him keep the worms though!

I can make a suggestion of what not to use. I caught a guy in the river throwing a cast net yesterday Said he couldn't get the fish to eat his worms and he wanted to take some trout home. After a brief "conversation" he left the river without trout and without his cast net. I did let him keep the worms though!

That is waht a twenty gauge modified choke and 7 1/2 or 8 shot is all about. You'd think he'd have the brain to walk for a bit away from areas most likely to see anglers. Sums up the IQ of some folk.

I'd throw on a bead-headed pink n black woolly bugger. Thats what I did this morning, and managed 2 tilapia and a good sized freshwater australian tarpon (ox eye herring)... Missed a couple more too....

Unfortunately even though there were sporadic risers the fish werent looking up for a feed.

I'll get some pictures next time I'm out lol, there's deep seaweed beds throughout the river. (Huron)

Huron river?...are you talking about the early season put & take fishery they do near Wixom road on the huron?

Steve

I'll get some pictures next time I'm out lol, there's deep seaweed beds throughout the river. (Huron)

Huron river?...are you talking about the early season put & take fishery they do near Wixom road on the huron?

Steve

No, I wasn't there, lol I remember when I tried there once.

Once.

Okay, reason I ask is because the Huron river is too warm for trout year round so the trout in the Huron are trout that come from the stocking they do the last week of March at wixom road. Those are all the left over broodstock breeders they put in there.