Fly Tying
lykos33

April 2012 : Flies from the Vise

Piker, those little red head things look like the bream would eat them up, kind of like a little inch worm.

Cheers Kirk, I've posted them in the pattern database as Craft orange and craft green. The metalic thread really shines through and I was really pleased how they turned out. They could have a heavier bead head if needed and still work. Real easy to tie too. hardest bit is maintaining the twist in the metalic tread.

Here is just a sample of what I have been tying lately. I've been working on my married wings for the most part. Almost there, but not just yet.

Thanks for looking and enjoy.

CIMG0508.jpg

CIMG0505.jpg

CIMG0504.jpg

CIMG0503.jpg

CIMG0501.jpg

CIMG0499.jpg

CIMG0496.jpg

CIMG0490.jpg

CIMG0487.jpg

CIMG0482.jpg

CIMG0478.jpg

They are very good flies. The paired the strips of various feathers is so hard to get right. They look perfect untill you start tying them in. A tip I had on Salmon flies for showing, not fishing, was set the paired wing down on thin paper and varnish the back. It looks perfect in a frame and no one will ever notice.

Those are beautiful CTobias!

I tied this just, it's an Ostrich Herl clouser, doubt it will be robust once in the jaws of a predator xD

485747_3700083309565_1499892280_3162596_1716203254_n.jpg

CTobias, those are beautiful flies, but I have to ask, was the one with heavy thread used for a hook eye planned that way or a save from failing to plan ahead? I've never noticed that done before.

Either way, beautiful flies.

CTobias, those are beautiful flies, but I have to ask, was the one with heavy thread used for a hook eye planned that way or a save from failing to plan ahead? I've never noticed that done before.

Its a traditional way of tying salmon flies. Originally the hooks were eyeless. They would have used gut eyes originally.

Gorgeous flies CTobias...if you don't think you have the "marrying" knack down perfect yet...I wonder what perfect in your eyes is... :lol:

Murray

Wavey1988, If the flies take little or no time to tie and have an irresistible appeal to the fish, you have your answer.... :lol: Try the puppies out and see if the time in tying is worth it ....

Murray

Here is a pair of my first attempts at "true" feather wing streamers. I think that they came out lookin pretty good for bein so simple, and might even help me pull out a few good sized lunkers out of the local pond!:D I would also appreciate any advice you could give me about gettin better at this type of streamer.

Thank you,

Carson LeBoeuf

post-43009-0-30001600-1334622825_thumb.jpg

post-43009-0-89603100-1334622835_thumb.jpg

I like them, I'm no expert on streamers of any kind, but they look good....sometimes simple is best! Maybe throw a rib on that body to protect the floss or silk from predatorial teeth.... :lol:

Murray

Nonchalant Heat shown by CTobias, sheeeeeeesh! In fact talent all round, Wavey1988, that clouser will fish, oh yes it will, very good :)