Fly Tying
lykos33

April 2012 : Flies from the Vise

Piker20, that material is Spirit River UV Guinea, those feathers with the spots on them, and just one or two turns for a collar *edit i should say 1 side of the feather was stripped here*...The longer purple is that heron substitute. I am seeing on the market now a lot of 'UV' treated materials, i also picked up UV marabou from the same company, pretty good stuff.

http://spiritriver.net/materials/feathers/large-eyed-guinea

Cheers for that. The spirit river stuff isn't available too much in UK and the postage from the states on the websites I just checked was 4x the cost of the feathers. I'll keep an eye out in the stockist for their stuff here.

I read an article awhile back alluding to the appeal of blue to the fishes. anyway you guys are what keeps me up late. lykos I like those little baetis nymphs.

Couple more recent ties. I'm having a devil of a time getting my camera focus on point. I really need to just bite the bullet and get a dslr and ditch the point and shoot I'm using.

f1w-1.jpg

Midge sz. 20

f2w.jpg

March Brown Spider sz. 14

Cheers!

Couple more recent ties. I'm having a devil of a time getting my camera focus on point. I really need to just bite the bullet and get a dslr and ditch the point and shoot I'm using.

Yeah its a pain. Check the tips in the photography thread. The macro extension tubes give you quality enough for posting fly pics without spending hundreds on dedicated macro lens. Someone (apologise can't remember who) on the fly forum posted a pic taken with his Fuji 9600 point and shoot set on macro and they look great.

The above picture was taken with a Coolpix L120. It's a point and shoot with a long lens, cost is pretty reasonable. It has an internal zoom and a focal length of down to less than a half inch.

Not that I'm holding the picture up as a fine example of photograhpy, it's not, but a better photographer with better preparation could likely take a much better picture using the same equipment.