Fly Tying
Chase Creek

Ring Flash for Macro

Anybody use a ring flash in their macro setup? Toying with the idea. Have a Canon Rebel Ti2 and have been using a 3 light setup (not flash). Would a couple of off-the-camera flash units be a better choice?

Also was wondering if anyone has come up with a way to diffuse/soften the flash from a ring flash.

Also was wondering if anyone has come up with a way to diffuse/soften the flash from a ring flash.

i havent but somebody else definately has

https://www.google.com/search?q=ring+flash+diffuser&hl=en&rlz=1G1TSNACENUS400&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&ei=BGZ9T62tMOao0AGxoq3eCw&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=2&sqi=2&ved=0CDgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1344&bih=678

Anybody use a ring flash in their macro setup? Toying with the idea. Have a Canon Rebel Ti2 and have been using a 3 light setup (not flash). Would a couple of off-the-camera flash units be a better choice?

Hi Chase Creek,

Yes, we use a ring flash for almost all of our fly pix. We've found that using the manual setting on the camera AND the flash seem to work best for us. Also the 1/16 power seems to be better than full power unless we are shooting a fairly large subject. What we like about it is the flash allows us to get our hands in the picture and freeze the action without blurring it. When we used the standard photographic bulbs we had to use a slow shutter speed and had a difficult time holding our hands still enough to avoid the blurring problem.

On larger subjects like some advertising pix, etc. we use a wireless 3-flash setup with our Nikon D300 and that seems to work fairly well but we often have to use a flash meter to determine what setting we want our fill flashes to work at. Sometime the auto setting works but often we use manual with the 3-flash setup as well. I know the auto settings are supposed to do a great job but I've used a meter for so many years I have a hard time trusting the "auto stuff." Take care & ...

You might want to take a look at LED ring lights that mount to the lens barrel. For still work, I prefer them over the flash, as you don't get harsh shadows, and you can bracket the exposure as the light is constant. I also use fill lights on the sides of the subject to add light where I want it.

I agree that the manual settings on the camera give me great control on the focus, and exposure of the shot. You can also adjust the flash exposure settings on the camera's menu, and if using a Canon Speedlite flash, you can adjust the output of the flash.

Hi,

I recently purchased a Canon 100mm L IS Macro with a Canon Ring flash. The combination is great. For fly photography, I also find lowering the power to 1/16 is best. I also use two small florescent studio lighting to completely eliminate shadows on occasion. Sometimes using any more lighting than just the flash over exposes the photos. Using a tripod and setting a wider than normal macro aperture, such as 5.6, helps bring out the fine details feathers, hair & fur. To be honest I'm still experimenting but having lots of fun doing so. I will post lots of new pics soon.

Dan

Hi Dan,

If/When you shoot with a wider lens opening AND you use PS CS5 (or 4) you might try shooting several pix of your fly with different focus points then assemble your final pic using the File>Automat function to stack focus to increase depth of field. E-mail me and I'll send a short file outlining how to do the process ([email protected]). Take care & ...

Thanks Al, much appreciated. I think that process is called stacking, but that's all I know about it. This macro photography stuff is really fascinating. Spring is here, and the local bugs are getting nervous about being the target of the paparazzi. :D I've sent you an email.

Thanks

Hi Al....I just read your response now, sorry. I haven't tried this technique yet but I wouldn't mind having a go. Is it similar to creating an HDR image? You can view my pics here > www.500px.com/djgunter/sets

I'll send you an email now.

Dan