Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
nyFLYguy05

Silicone Types

Happy Easter to everyone,

Regarding silicone flies (small and large), I mainly tie Popovics silicone flies........

What does everyone use or recomended for the type of silicone to use? I use household GE 2.

I am thinking about making a silicone fly with clear cure goo flexible to see what happens.....

Has it ever occurred to you that most of us work with fur, feathers, and synthetic hair and have little or no use for silicone? Nobody I know uses either silicone, epoxy, or UV resins for anything other than fly heads or tuna flies, and damned little at that. I hate to break the news to you, but "breathable" materials will outfish plastic by a wide margin. Spare me the attitude.

I tried Silicone years ago, couldn't tell you what I used but I do remember not liking working with the stuff and the flies it produced were very heavy and awkward to cast. Even though they did have a great action in the water, the effort/mess in making them and the unweildy attributes outweighed its fish attration.

Maybe call Bob Popovicks if he is still around and find out what he recommends. Also, you may find some existing conversations even if they are older on some other sites if you do a general search on google for silicone flies.

However, if you plan to use CCG, I'd have to say you would no longer be making a Silicone Fly, you would be making a CCG Flex Head fly??? I mean, if it don't have silicone, it wouldn't be a Silicone Fly right - just a play on words I know but I just had to point that out. Just to keep the level of respect to the originator, which I imagine is what you're doing by mentioning the Silicone is by saying, here is my CCG Flex Head fly inspired by Bob's Silicone Fly.

Kirk

Bob Popovic's was using Tuffleye the last time I saw him . His earlier flies such as the surf candy and ultra shrimp , were originaly made with epoxy.

Fred

Bob Popovic's was using Tuffleye the last time I saw him . His earlier flies such as the surf candy and ultra shrimp , were originaly made with epoxy.

Fred

Someone do a comparison -- CCG Flex, Silicone, and Fabric Glue -- on one or two patterns and let us know if there is any appreciable difference in how the flies feel/swim. I think we all understand the pros/cons of use of the different glue materials; all I want to know is is the end product (the fly) any different .....

Peterjay, honestly I do not know why your so rude and dis-respectful to me - you always jump the gun right away and try to be little me? Why do you treat people like this? Actually not people, you only do it to me. It was the same thing when I posted about bears den and dog fur, you went nuts on me.....I dont get it? I am sorry I dont please you on this forum but try to give me a little respect and not be such a dam jerk to me. If you dont like my posts dont comment on them - I give you the utmost respect on this sight!

Also peterjay I do work, i work two jobs for your information - also since its 2012 theres technology called cellphones and internet - you can post from your phone with internet service.

I would be ashamhed of myself if i treated people like you

Have a great fishing season

Thanks go to Andrew, Fred, and Kirk for their advice and great comments, again guys if the first post I made offended you, i apologize - it was a simple joke.

Thanks again

"First post I made" - Wow, thanks for everyones input. <-----was a simple joke, if i offended anyone i do apologize

I still tie up a few of Bob Popovics silicone type flies but I never liked using silicone as it would usually cloud up pretty badly. Ever since I started to use clear Lexel the flies come out so much better. The flies stay clear and very flexible as long as you apply a thin coat of Sally Hansens H.A.N. after the Lexel has dried.

You're the one who ran your mouth because nobody answered your question as quickly as you expected them to. And don't give me that crap about a joke - this isn't the first time you've whined when you didn't get the attention you wanted as fast as you wanted. Funny, but I'm member #283 on this forum, and I've never had a problem with anyone but you. I suspect it's because I live right across the sound from you, fish for the same fish as you, and I can see right through you. We both know exactly what I'm talking about, don't we?

PJ, when are you moving south of the mason/dixon line? Fishing here is picking up by leaps and bounds, wife outfished me seven trout to one today, have to let her win once in a while... :blink: Besides, "I" caught a line class record pinfish, must have gone 3 inches...hell of a fight when tail hooked :unsure:

Have you been out much?

PJ, when are you moving south of the mason/dixon line? Fishing here is picking up by leaps and bounds, wife outfished me seven trout to one today, have to let her win once in a while... :blink: Besides, "I" caught a line class record pinfish, must have gone 3 inches...hell of a fight when tail hooked :unsure:

Have you been out much?

Dave, we've been trying to sell the house up here before we make the move, but we decided yesterday to set a date and just leave. This "halfway there" business can make you crazy. They're starting to nail some really nice reds in the inlets down there, and it's killing me, knowing the house is sitting empty. I'm going down Thursday to register the boat and trailer, and hopefully get out there at least once, so it'll probably blow the whole time I'm there. BTW - don't forget to post a pic of that pinfish so we can all revel in your glory. Not much going on here - the water was still in the mid-40s last I checked. So much for the warm winter.