Fly Tying
shoebop

Foam Poppers

I'm a little reluctant to post my ties here after seeing some of the other very impressive offerings. These are my first attempts at crafting some panfish poppers so be kind. I am open to your advice if you have any. I am pretty happy with the results so far but there is plenty of room for improvement.

post-35746-0-29151600-1333983509_thumb.jpg

post-35746-0-16039900-1333983526_thumb.jpg

post-35746-0-09179200-1333983556_thumb.jpg

post-35746-0-34693200-1333983582_thumb.jpg

post-35746-0-24333800-1333983613_thumb.jpg

Nice bugs, and an interesting application for feathers! Bet they will catch fish!

It is next to impossible to critique them as they are out of focus when they are enlarged (at least for me) and the thumbnails are too small to see any details.

very nice, this in my opinion is a great start to something much bigger.. I also feel the same way about posting pictures.. I enjoy the idea of something other than hackle behind the head.. i'd shorten the tail hair up a bit, in my opinion but very nice work, your poppers are already sending me to my bench for new ideas.. thanks

With them being your first, they're pretty good!

Since they're panfish poppers, I would shorten the tails a bit, perhaps about 2/3 to 1/2 of what you have. Bigger poppers for bass, not an issue, bass tend to engulf them, but make them too long for panfish & you may get a lot of short strikes as they'll want to grab the tails & will miss the hook. With some being marabou, when wet, you may also have some issues with the tails fouling around the hook, because they're long.

The fourth one over may be a problem. This one in particular may have issues with hooking. The gap of the hook is partially blocked by the body.

This is a bass popper, but it clearly shows the hook gap. Make it a point to give any popper hook as much clearance as possible.

100_4178A.jpg

Keep at it, you're off to a great start! :)

Since they're panfish poppers, I would shorten the tails a bit, perhaps about 2/3 to 1/2 of what you have. Bigger poppers for bass, not an issue, bass tend to engulf them, but make them too long for panfish & you may get a lot of short strikes as they'll want to grab the tails & will miss the hook. With some being marabou, when wet, you may also have some issues with the tails fouling around the hook, because they're long.

The fourth one over may be a problem. This one in particular may have issues with hooking. The gap of the hook is partially blocked by the body.

This is a bass popper, but it clearly shows the hook gap. Make it a point to give any popper hook as much clearance as possible.

100_4178A.jpg

You're right about the hook gap. I didn't realize the problem til after I tied it. I will use a different hook in the future. Thanks for the critique.

100_4178A.jpg

Another consideration with poppers and hook gap is that seating the hook as low in the popper body is something to consider.

The hook in the fourth image is almost centered in the body. This reduces the hook gap.

For bass try using a Mustad 37187 stinger hook. The hook shape and gap keeps the point away from the foam body.

Nice tyes Shoebop, I would just suggest IMHO less is more, I like or put my eyes lower on the head when I use eyes painted or glued on, for myself I put them on a little below center line. To keep the tail dressing from dropping down into the hook gape and fouling the hook tye into the hook shank a flat loop of mono to keep the dressing out of the hook, over all good job.

Nice tyes Shoebop, I would just suggest IMHO less is more, I like or put my eyes lower on the head when I use eyes painted or glued on, for myself I put them on a little below center line. To keep the tail dressing from dropping down into the hook gape and fouling the hook tye into the hook shank a flat loop of mono to keep the dressing out of the hook, over all good job.

Good idea Rick thanks for taking the time to comment and share your knowledge.