Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Piker20

Fly Box

Hi guys, sorting out some buzzers from my dry fly box and looking at the 4 various styles of box I seem to have gathered. Wondering what box and why you choose for your little feathered friends.

I'm currently using FOX boxes with a rubber/plastic slot for the hook. Not good with hackles or upwings due to crushing.

C&F waterproof with the foam inserts

some cheap clam style boxes with the white solid foam in each lid

great big 3 tier wooden thing that sits in a corner and gathers dust.

I keep looking at the compartment boxes for my dries but have visions of them taking flight when I open it to change fly.

My desk is littered with fly boxes right now. I am filling up the boxes I carry from the larger storage boxes. Looking them over, I have quite a collection. Most I have had for years, and a few I have purchased recently. Most of my nymphs, wets, and streamers go in slit foam boxes. I have no real preference (as long as its inexpensive.)

For my dry flies, I keep them in compartment boxes. My small boxes are the Myran boxes, and my larger boxes came from Orvis (the old green plastic ones,) years ago. I like these two types because they both have metal hing pins. The Orvis boxes had a full length metal pin all along the back side. Sadly, Orvis no longer sells these boxes. I would like to find a few more.

As for loosing flies to the wind, it hasn't been too much of a problem. If you look around, you can find a few compartment boxes with lids for each compartment. Wheatley was known for these, but now they can be found from several other makers, from $20.00.

Like utyer I also has a huge collection of boxes from over the years. But about 5 years ago I started switching to these http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=37GT&dir_id=758&group_id=17891&cat_id=5135&subcat_id=6030 I am not a big fan of Orvis because I think most their stuff is WAY overpriced, but those boxes are one of the few things they have that I really like. They are cheap, they are super light so it takes a lot of weight out of your vest, they hold lots of flies, and they last forever. All the key things in a good fly box.

Steve

c&f for my wets

dewitt for my dries

i have never lost a fly to the wind using the dewitt compartment boxes especially after learning to keep my back to the wind

C&F waterproof, or a clone, for nymphs and wets. Myran compartment boxes for drys. Cliff Day's Worth for a minimal shirt pocket mix.

Flytire, I'm too aware of my own ability to do the daft thing to trust turning back on the wind. Its not always too easy if out on an open boat. I might look at the dewitt style box and try lining the base with magnetic strip.

Steeldrifter, do you find the orvis boxes keep the dries unruffled? I have seen these in the yearly (UK) sale they have and nearly brought 10 this year but went with 3 C&F instead.

I'm using Berkley compartment boxes for my dries. I have 3 of them that came with a tackle bag I bought. The little plastic slots come out, so that is handy.

I need something for nymphs and wets. I'm liking the looks and price of those Orvis boxes.

Flytire, I'm too aware of my own ability to do the daft thing to trust turning back on the wind. Its not always too easy if out on an open boat. I might look at the dewitt style box and try lining the base with magnetic strip.

Steeldrifter, do you find the orvis boxes keep the dries unruffled? I have seen these in the yearly (UK) sale they have and nearly brought 10 this year but went with 3 C&F instead.

Yeah they do a nice job of keep the dries in good shape. I usually use the large size one and only load one side of it with dries, that way it keeps the wings/hackle in perfect shape. And the large box is big enough that even with only one side loaded you'll still have a couple hundred flies in there no problem.

I started using a Richardson chest box this year and really like it. It holds all of my trout flys and leaders with room to spare. The compartments are open, but deep enough that wind has not been an issue. And I have fished some pretty windy days this year. Now my old trout boxes are becoming warmwater boxes, and my Altoid tins can go back to being Altoid tins.

i use the 16 compartment aluminum box from Cabelas and have never had a problem with flinging flies out of it. i liked it so much i got another one to keep my nymphs in. it works really well to organize all the madness of having so many flies.

Found a box in the craft store today, clear double-sided and firm lids without being too difficult to open. One side has 6 spaces and other 9. Deep enough for biggest dry. Only £2 so about $3. Bargain. Picked up some great coloured metallic thread and come stretch cord in good fishy colours so hopefully I'll post a craft store pattern soon.

For a cheap and simple fly box Take a thin huggies baby wipe container and glue some styrofoam on the inside and your good to go. Its light, cheap and works great.

Trout - been using whatever was lying around. Like others have said, I have a big assortment. My big problem was box for my dry's that didn't crush the hackle. Spouse bought me a 32 compartment Wheatley for christmas, so tied all new flies for it and it will be my main box I take everywhere with my common patterns. Hope they do not blow away! I also have box similar to the orvis above but labeled for a local fly shop and carry big flies in that, stimulators, etc. I have a SA box I use for nymphs.

Steelhead - Had a couple of very old (20y) Wheatley boxes with solid foam on each side. The paint is in worn but they are still in good shape. Last year I stripped the foam out and bought clip inserts and they work great. I like using nice boxes with steelhead, anything to get better mojo with them.

Cheers for the replies.

Steelhead - Had a couple of very old (20y) Wheatley boxes with solid foam on each side. The paint is in worn but they are still in good shape. Last year I stripped the foam out and bought clip inserts and they work great. I like using nice boxes with steelhead, anything to get better mojo with them.

Know what you mean, I find the salmon flies just look right in a fancy box.