Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bpetersen

fist attempt at parachute

Here is my first attempt at tying a parachute fly. I have not been tying for too long. these are supposed to be a size 14 parachute adams. I did not have any brown hackle to go with the grizzly. any comments or tips would be appreciated. i did these in my class.

post-42575-0-55393200-1334347513_thumb.jpg

post-42575-0-35343000-1334347541_thumb.jpg

Look pretty good for a first attempt. Couple things I would say... I try to keep the tail the length of the shank of the hook, Keep your wraps closer together when wrapping around the post, Could probably do with a couple more wraps too (although if you had used brown and grizzly this would help in the more wraps), and I would trim the post down a little bit more but you will catch fish the way you have them. Nice job!

I would second polarbear's comments. Very nice for a first attempt! The secret to a sturdy and nice-looking parachute is to make each wind of hackle UNDER the previous turn. This locks down the feather so it will be less likely to come undone after a few fish.

Second the above comments. Good first attempts though. The hackle round the post will soon come if you look to wrap under. I liked the buggy looking one in the group of 3 with no hackles or wing. That should catch fish.

Second the above comments. Good first attempts though. The hackle round the post will soon come if you look to wrap under. I liked the buggy looking one in the group of 3 with no hackles or wing. That should catch fish.

Nice tie! try to keep the tail on the top of the hook when you tie, and your hackle in closer wraps around the stem. Practice makes perfect!

Thank you all for your comments. I plan on working on these more plus do the Adams and others traditional. piker the bottom one is supposed to be a sow bug.

Brian

I haven't heard of a sow bug before. More commonly called them woodlouse in UK. Good looking pattern though.

Given the actual length of the tails on mayflies, I would not be as concerned about tail length on a parachute, which is supposed to ride flat on the water, as I would be if it were a 'standard' upright winged dry; and only them because of it's role in supporting the fly in the upright position on the water. Also, I am not concerned about post height, as it serve more as a 'sighter' (something to facilitate the angler finding the fly) than as a wing; though it does contribute to the overall illusion.

Nice flies. As others have noted, you will get better with practice.

I haven't heard of a sow bug before. More commonly called them woodlouse in UK. Good looking pattern though.

I know of the creature that you are talking about. the sow bug I am talking about is a water creature mostly found in tailwaters similar to a scud in appearance. that sow bug pattern is very easy to tye just some rainbow dubbing and copper wire on a scud type hook with a shellback or even just a black sharpee marker down the back.