Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Troutzilla

Best place to buy affordable quality materials

Just started tying my own flies last week, have been fishing for years..really enjoying it,

Wondering where the best place to buy affordable quality materials would be?

Is orvis overpriced? Is cabelas quality good. Any online stores y'all would recommend?

Thanks in advance.

PS....I am NOT a bait fisherman (how do I change that?)

JStockard is a forum sponsor with GREAT prices, and your "baitfisher" moniker changes after a set number of posts...don't take it personal.. :lol: Murray

Depends on what you're going to tie. Fly Tyer's Dungeon is a good resource for fibers, dubbing, eyes, hooks, legs. Great quality and incredibly inexpensive. I don't think he (Mad Scientist) carries hackle.

Most other online places are priced pretty equally, the support-your-local-fly-store slogan notwithstanding. Cabela's stuff is as good as anywhere else, you have to be choosy about picking decent stuff.

there is no singular "best place" to buy materials.

you have to do some comparison shopping on line and even at your local fly shop to find the prices that suit your wallet.

PS....I am NOT a bait fisherman (how do I change that?)

keep posting and eventually it will change. possibly 10-15 posts

the more you participate the faster it will change to "beginner"

I'd second the suggestion of J. Stockard - high quality and very good prices. If they don't have what you want, here are a couple of suggestions. Saltwaterflies.com specializes in saltwater stuff, but a lot of his products are good for fresh water as well. Excellent quality. Theriault's is a fly shop in Maine that sells a lot of useful materials and has quantity discounts. If you drop them an email, they'll send you a catalog. I've never used them, but I plan to in the near future - they have an excellent reputation. To answer your question about Orvis - yes, I think their materials are overpriced. Their rods and reels are top-shelf, but you can do better elsewhere as far as tying materials go. You'd probably be ahead of the game by buying from outfits that specialize in fly materials rather than "big box" companies that sell a lot of other stuff. You're more apt to get decent quality from an outfit that doesn't have ATV and canoe sales to fall back on if their fly tying stuff doesn't measure up. It also pays to have several sources, since nobody carries everything.

http://www.theriaultflies.com/

http://www.saltwaterflies.com/catalog.html

I recommend your local shop. What they don't have, j stockard is really good. That will be the best combo of price and customer service. Cause both places want/need your business. And both can give good advice.

J Stockard is a great source. Their prices are about like any other mail order place.

If you get a chance, check out your local (or not so local) fly shop. It makes a difference if you can see what you need, and lay hands on it. They may be a bit higher that mail order, but not always.

If you know what you want Ebay CAN be a good source.

Stockard, Hook and Hackle, Feathercraft are some of the big mail order places. Our nearest fly shop is an hour away so I get almost all of my stuff mail order. I order most of my stuff from a few shops nearby so my orders get here sooner!

Dont forget your local craft stores. They are often cheap suppliers for pheasant tails, peacock and ostrich plumes and biots. Also yarns of all types make great dubbings. Keep your eyes and mind open as to what can be used to tie flies.