Fly Tying
troutslayerny

Favorite Hooks?

What brand of hook do you swear by?  

201 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Mustad Signature hooks most of the time but will use the standard Mustads for dries and other high volume flies. I also don't see a lot problems with the standard Mustads, I guess I've been lucky. Have used the Cabela's hooks as well recently, not sure who makes them for Cabela's but they also worked well and the price was a little better than the Signatures.

Product slut warning...

Mustad Signature and Tiemco for dry fly;

Mustad Signature and Partridge for soft-hackles;

Mustad Signature, Partridge, and Daiichi for wet fly;

Daiichi and Partridge for spey and LWS flies;

Eagle Claw 1197n or 1197g for pacific salmon flies;

Tiemco for mayfly and caddis nymphs (streams);

Mustad Traditional and Tiemco for still water nymphs and streamers; and

Mustad Signature, Tiemco, and Daiichi for chironomids.

Aaron

Tiemco first, Bass Pro generic second, and Mustad not at all.

It's funny this came up, I've been fly tying for about a year now, started on Generic Bass Pro hooks, they were fine, but started shopping at a local fly shop and started buying Tiemco. Still happy.

Bought some Mustad for trial purposes, and my first hook snapped- yesterday. I'm not sure the number but they're size 18 dry fly downd eye. I'm not sure I'll try Mustad again, we'll see how the rest of the package goes.

Maybe the reason I have never had a problem with Mustads is because I never tie anything smaller then 14. The larger hooks should not break as easily I would think.

I mainly use Dai-riki and Temico. For dry flies and light wire hooks I only use Temico, Very strong. Otherwise it comes down to the best hook for the money. I have found Dai-riki really fits that niche. I have noticed over the last couple years Dai-Riki quality slipping.

Carl

Mustad is my favorite.

I know this isn't a fly hook, but in my opinion, Owner makes the best hooks on earth. I wish desperately they would put out a freshwater fly hook! :(

Been using Mustad hooks for fresh water flies since the Olden Days, when I was a kid - never had a problem that couldn't be traced back to my own incompetence/neglect/carelessness - For salt, Mustad signature circle streamer hooks for tuna flies and Mustad signature Js for blues, bass, etc. - I use a variety for steelhead/salmon flies - Mustad, Partridge, Tiemco, you name it - whatever suits the type of fly I have in mind - It's nice to have the variety of quality hooks to choose from that we have now - It wasn't always like that

Most definitely Daiichi for me too. Never had a problem with breaking or slipping in the vice. I do use Mustad's for hair bugs, 3366, 37187. That in opion is the only problem with daiichi, not enough hair bug sizes.

I use Mustad's because they are cheaper than the Tiemco's and Dai Riki's.

Never had a problem with them and I don't think the fish care. But what do I know, I'm a rookie.

Mainly Mustad hooks, I have never had any problems with breaking or bending in the vise. I also use a few Dai-Riki and a few Tiemco.

By far, I have more Tiemco than anything else. Three shops neaby and they all carry Tiemco and the prices are the same plus the quality and sharpness is good.

i use whatever is in stock at my local fly shops

mostly Mustad, Dia Riki, Hook & Hackle generic, and Tiemco

I'm very price conscious, so mainly Mustad.... though I do have some Orvis and Tiemco hooks.

Can't really see that one is any better than the other.